VIII • Follow the Lion

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Follow the Lion

The group trailed on through a rocky area with Peter leading the way. They had been walking for a good hour or so now and even though the five had not been to Narnia in a year and a multitude of years had passed in Narnia, the girls were still finding difficulty recognizing where in the blazes they were.

"I don't remember this way," Susan exclaimed as they rounded a corner.

"That's the problem with girls," Peter said with a smug smile as he turned to look at the girls behind him before continuing on. "You can't carry a map in your heads."

"That's because our head's have something in them," Elizabeth replied with a smirk and a playful eye roll as she walked alongside Susan and Lucy who laughed at her response while Edmund and Trumpkin walked towards the back of the group. Edmund let out a quiet snicker so as not to alarm Peter that he found Elizabeth's comment amusing.

"I wish he'd just listen to the D.L.F. in the first place," Susan told the girls with a sigh while Edmund frowned, listening in on their conversation from behind them.

"D.L.F.?" Edmund asked the girls not understanding the reference.

"Dear Little Friend," Lucy replied as she shared a smile with Elizabeth and Susan.

Trumpkin stopped walking for a moment as he let the words sink in and Edmund stayed back with him trying to hide his smile. "Oh, that's not at all patronizing, is it?" Edmund let out a small laugh before the two continued behind the girls.

As they continued on after Peter, after a few more minutes of no luck, Peter paused in front of giant rocks blocking the path they seemed to be going on. He stared at the rocks in confusion and frustration as he stood stubbornly tall while the others caught up to him.

"I'm not lost," he stated more so to convince himself more than the others.

"No," Elizabeth replied as she jumped down from a rock she was standing on. "You're just going the wrong way."

Peter turned around the face the blonde with a dark look in his eyes as his face was in a scowl. "Trumpkin last saw the boy who blew the horn at the Shuddering Woods, and the quickest way to get there is to cross the river Rush," Peter said obstinate as he stared down Elizabeth not backing down.

"But Peter," Elizabeth tried to reason with him. "Unless I'm mistaken, there's no crossing in these parts," Elizabeth exclaimed. She wasn't talking to Peter rudely or trying to sound better than him, she was speaking very gently but Peter took it as a challenge of his judgment.

"Pete, perhaps Elizabeth is right," Susan tried to calm her brother down.

"Liz knows this place better than we do," Lucy said gently but Peter ignored his sisters focusing only on the blonde in front of him.