I • Prince Caspian Flees

Chapter One

Chapter One

Prince Caspian Flees

The dark haired and chocolate brown eyed boy slept soundly in the comfort of his bed. However, a cold hand that was clamped over the boy's mouth caused his heartbeat to accelerate and his pupils quickly dilated. The boy jolted his eyes open to see who the intruder was, but upon seeing it was his trusted Professor, Caspian let out a sigh of relief. His eyes started to flutter shut as his sleep-deprived body started catching up with him and he pulled the Professor's hand away from his mouth.

"Five more minutes," the boy muttered as he rolled over in bed and pulled the covers back over his shoulders.

"You won't be watching Elizabeth's stars tonight my prince," the Professor urged and Caspian frowned upon hearing the Narnian reference. "Come, we must hurry," the Professor said breathing heavily as he searched the room in a paranoid manner.

Caspian listened to his professor hearing the urgency in his voice and threw the sheets off of him. The Professor grabbed his hand and pulled him the rest of the way out of bed and Caspian was starting to worry. "Professor, what's going on?" He begged to know as they rushed through his room.

The Professor quickly stopped and turned to Caspian "Your aunt has given birth . . . " he began as he pulled Caspian close to whisper to him. " . . . to a son," he said with wide eyes before opening the door to Caspian's wardrobe and climbing in.

Caspian stood at the entrance to his wardrobe with furrowed eyebrows and a frown. Was the Professor implying what he thought he was?

"Come," the Professor urged him as he opened the secret back door to the wardrobe that leads out into a hallway.

Caspian looked around his room until he heard shuffling of soldiers footsteps outside his bedroom door and quickly climbed into the wardrobe. He shut one of the doors shut and left the other one barely cracked open to peer into the room. He had to see for himself if his Professor was right. As he peeked through the crack, he saw General Glozelle lead roughly eight of his soldiers and they all carried crossbows. Caspian watched in disbelief as Glozelle and the men quietly crept their way into the room surrounding the prince's bed with their arrows aimed directly where Caspian lay only moments before.

General Glozelle gave a nod to his soldiers and one by one they begin to unleash their arrows on the empty bed. The curtains around the bed were torn to shreds and after the soldiers reloaded and fired another round, Caspian's pillows and mattress erupted into feathers as they flew around the room. Once the soldiers realized Caspian was not in the bed, General Glozelle begins to squint at the bed in frustration and Caspian covered his mouth so he would not make a sound.

The Professor and Caspian then quickly ran out into the spiral staircase behind the hidden back door of the wardrobe and Caspian could feel his stomach tighten after what he just saw. General Glozelle had come to kill him, to kill him. The pair headed straight for the armory and Caspian grabbed a vest of armor quickly throwing it over his nightshirt. Then he grabbed a tall pair of brown leather boots and tied them onto his feet over his pants. He reached for a sword and unsheathed it to examine in the blade. Once deciding it was a worthy blade, he sheathed it back into its holster and placed the belt over his shoulder like a satchel. The Professor grabbed a dark cloak and tossed it over Caspian's shoulders before he tied the cloak into place.