XII • War Council

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

War Council

That night, everyone gathered back around the Stone Table to discuss their next plan of action. Just a few hours ago, a faun had spotted a Telmarine soldier just on the edge of the wood. Which meant the Telmarines had already discovered their hiding spot and it was only a matter of time that they could keep the element of surprise.

"It's only a matter of time," Peter announced to his fellow Narnians as he begins pacing around the room to make sure he made eye contact with everyone listening to him. Elizabeth stood next to him as she listened to his little speech. "Miraz's men and war machines are on their way."

"We saw the catapults and weapons they are planning to use just yesterday when we tried to cross the Great River we found the Telmarines and all of their weapons at the ford," Elizabeth spoke up.

"That means those same men aren't protecting his castle," Peter concluded and Elizabeth frowned, not quite sure of where Peter was going with this.

"What do you propose we do, Your Majesty's?" Reepicheep spoke up as he looked to Peter and Elizabeth expectantly.

"We need to start . . ." Caspian begin but Peter was talking at the same time.

"We need to get ready for . . ." Peter said as he then turned to Caspian with irritation as he eyed the Prince closely. What did the boy think he was doing. The whole room grew tense as they watched this small interaction. While Peter watched Caspian carefully while Caspian stared him back. He hoped that Peter would let him continue and share his idea but Peter wouldn't let up and glared at Caspian. After a few moments of their little staring contest, Caspian let out a short nod and stepped back, allowing for Peter to continue.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us," Peter explained while Caspian and Elizabeth both shared equally crazed looks of disbelief.

"But that's crazy!" Elizabeth exclaimed as she looked at Peter with wide eyes.

"Yes," Caspian agreed with the Queen. "No one has ever taken that castle!"

"There's always a first time," Peter quipped back at him and Elizabeth just stood still staring at Peter like he was insane while Caspian just grits his teeth and clenched his fists. This King was starting to really get under his skin.

"We'll have the element of surprise," Trumpkin spoke up, siding with Peter.

"But we have the advantage here," Caspian tried to reason with them.

Now Susan stood up to join the conversation. "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," she added while Caspian turned to look at her with a bit of surprise that she was siding with him.

Peter, however, did not share this same look and shot Susan a daring expression. Wasn't she supposed to be on his side? He even flashed Caspian a knowing look. Peter wasn't stupid. As a matter of fact, he was sure that Caspian was just wanting to stay here because he wanted to hang out with Susan. Even though he would never admit it, Susan always did have many admirers, so it only made sense that Caspian would fall for her too.