XVII • The Unfortunate Truth

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The Unfortunate Truth

Lucy was patiently waiting back at the Stone Table in the How. She was sitting on the big slab of rock playing with her healing cordial. The tiny little pouch with the Joyce of a fire-flower still contained inside. After all these years it still amazed her how this tiny little cordial had never seemed to run out. It seemed that whenever she was almost out, the next time she would look at it, the cordial would be full again. Then again, she didn't always have to use the healing juice because Elizabeth was able to heal those with her magic. But this time since they had gotten into land outside of Narnia territory, Elizabeth would have most likely run out of her magic and would be too tired to heal anyone so they would be counting on Lucy to heal the wounded.

She had quietly been waiting for a good twelve hours now. They left at dusk the night before and dawn was less than an hour ago. Lucy was starting to become extremely worried. Perhaps they had won the battle and they were bringing back a bunch of Telmarine troops with them. Or perhaps they had lost the battle and it was taking them a long time to get back because of the wounded. Or perhaps, what she feared the most, none of them had made it out of the battle alive.

Lucy quickly pushed the thought out of her head. Of course that most likely was not the reason. Her siblings and Elizabeth had gone through numerous battles together and come out in one piece. Surely this one would be no different than the others, she certainly hoped.

The horns then blasted outside meaning the others had finally arrived. Lucy produced a huge grin on her face and quickly put the healing cordial back in her pouch on her belt that was around her waist. Hopping to her feet, she ran through the tunnels and out of the How eager to see the others, unable to contain her excitement. As she was running up the slanted stone entrance to the How she saw a gryphon flying overhead with no passenger, that seemed a little odd to her.

When she made it to the top of the entrance, she froze at the sight. Peter, Susan, and Caspian were leading a small group of what remained of the Narnian army. She was horrified as she looked at the sight, at least two-thirds of the army was now gone. She heard the footsteps of the centaurs and fauna that had stayed behind approaching behind her also trying to get a look at the army. A female centaur stood beside Lucy and looked to her husband Glenstorm as if to ask the dreadful question she feared. The look he returned caused her to cry because she knew they had lost so many of their loved ones, those that were dear to them.

Lucy then found herself doing what she always did whenever the others, that had left for battle, returned. She frantically began surveying the group to make sure everyone was there. Lucy easily found Peter, Susan, and Caspian since they were in front, but she couldn't find Edmund and Elizabeth. Her heartbeat began to quicken as she continued to search for the blonde and her brother. She saw a gryphon flying out of the trees and a boy riding with a blue shirt and dark hair that she was convince was Edmund. But no matter how hard she looked she couldn't find her dear friend.