XV • The Last Stand

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

The Last Stand

The Telmarines were trying to work fast to close the gate. The soldiers were lining up to hack a metal weight that was holding the gate up. After a few more swings, the weight came crashing down and upon the loud crash of impact on the ground, Peter and a minotaur turned and looked in fright as the gate quickly started closing. The minotaur, without a second thought, charged towards the gate, quickly planting himself underneath it to hold the gate open for the Narnian's to continue to escape underneath.

All Peter could think about was when they were back in the How and he wanted so badly to attack the castle when in the end it was Elizabeth's decision if they were going to go through with this plan. He remembered her turning back and asking him if he really thought this was the best choice of action. His heart dropped as he watched the Narnians falling one by one to Telmarine soldiers. Elizabeth was right, they should never have come here.

"Fall back!" Peter immediately commanded his troops. "We need to retreat! Now!"

The Narnians were quick to listen to their leader as they prepared to retreat. Peter then turned to Glenstorm and motioned towards Susan. "Go! Get her out of here!" Peter commanded the centaur. "Back to the gate! Go!" As Glenstorm approached Susan she outstretched her hand and the centaur quickly grabbed it and threw her onto his back as they headed for the gate, most of the Narnian army following behind the centaur.

As they were riding away, Susan looked in horror around her. A certain blonde and dark haired boy were nowhere to be seen. "Caspian!" She shouted at Peter and Peter quickly waved Susan away.

"I'll find him!" He yelled back as he took out a Telmarine soldier and then turned to the rest of his troops that were still fighting. "Go! Get out! Go! Get out! Retreat!"

The minotaur let out a sharp cry of pain, he wasn't going to be able to hold the gate open much longer and they were quickly running out of time. There was still tons of Narnian troops within the courtyard still fighting. "Follow me!" Glenstorm commanded the army and most of them followed him underneath the gate and across the drawbridge.

Peter was still busy trying to find Caspian, he couldn't seem to find the Prince anywhere. In fact, come to think of it, he hadn't seen Elizabeth since she stopped him from trying to get Miraz. He didn't think too much of it though because this wasn't unusual for him. It wasn't odd for Elizabeth to disappear during a fight, usually, it just meant that she was occupied or caught up in something at the moment. The two had done numerous battles together and so Peter wasn't too worried about it, he was sure she would show up soon enough. Caspian, on the other hand, was a whole nother situation that Peter was unfamiliar with. That boy could be anywhere.

"Draw back!" Peter continued to shout at his troops as he still searched for a certain dark haired Telmarine Prince. "Get out! Retreat!"

Thankfully for Peter, he didn't have to search for much longer because Caspian showed up bursting through two gates from within the castle into the courtyard on a horse while he held onto another horse's reigns that ran alongside his horse. The Professor was on a horse as well and it seemed that Caspian had gone off in search of the Professor and found him, now the two were escaping on horses.