XXII • What Now?

Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

What Now?

The Pevensie's and Caspian were all gathered back around the Stone Table, the only place they ever seemed to be together. Lucy and Susan were sitting on top the slab of stone while Peter and Caspian were leaning against a pillar and Edmund was pacing back and forth throughout the room repeatedly.

Edmund had worry etched all over his face as he fluttered back and forth with his fingers. His hair was all over the place and his clothes mussed from his constant worrying. His fists were clenching on and off again as he tried to keep it together, but he was struggling. He wanted nothing more than to hit something, break something into a million pieces. He had too much aggressive energy and there was no outlet.

Of course, Edmund's temper was legendary. The siblings could all remember how only a year before they first came to Narnia, it took very little to get their brother snarling and shouting. But after Narnia and Elizabeth, it was like an entire turnaround with Edmund. He tended to manage to keep it together with people outside family and even with the family themselves. But there he was, toe to toe with himself and his siblings, and in a shouting match to boot.

The group stayed like this for a while before Peter finally let out an audible sigh directed at Edmund who was too busy still pacing back and forth, his dark eyes shifting between danger and worry. "Edmund, please. You're driving me insane," Peter told his brother but Edmund just flashed Peter a dark look before he continued pacing.

"This should have never happened. We shouldn't have invaded the Telmarines in the first place. You should have known this was a bad idea," Edmund shot at Peter while he marched back and forth becoming more flustered as his knuckles turned white as a result of squeezing them so hard. "Liz gave you every opportunity to back out but your just too stubborn to listen to anyone else."

Lucy let out a sigh while Susan rubbed her eyes, this was just typical behavior for their brothers. Caspian raised an eyebrow at Susan as if to ask if this was normal. Susan just shot him a look as if to say he didn't even know the half of it.

"Will you both just stop?" Susan then begged her brothers.

"Standing here getting into a fight isn't going to help Liz," Lucy pointed out gently.

Peter left Edmund alone for the moment but his brother continued his pacing. "Standing here doing nothing isn't exactly helping her either now is it?" Edmund quickly replied bitterly which gained him a sigh and an eye roll from his brother but thankfully for Peter, Edmund never noticed the action.

"Well then what do you propose we should do?" Caspian spoke up towards Edmund which actually caused Edmund to stop pacing back and forth and stand still.

He had never actually been asked what he thought their next course of action should to be. In all honesty, he didn't really have a plan. That was one of the reasons he was so frustrated and helpless. He didn't know what they should do, and the fact that he knew this was killing him. "I—I . . . I'm not sure," he said softly, almost in a whisper that caused the rest of the room to fall silent.