XXI • A Familiar Face

Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

A Familiar Face

After fetching horses from the stables, Glozelle and Elizabeth rode outside of the castle walls, which Elizabeth was beyond grateful to be getting out of those dreadful walls. She felt like she could actually breathe finally. Glozelle had been given the task of watching over Elizabeth and being her own personal guard, along with his other duties. The main reason was not because the Telmarines were worried about Elizabeth, she had proved she could certainly take care of herself, but more so to make sure she wasn't going to take off back to her fellow Narnians anytime soon.

"You got really lucky," Glozelle suddenly told Elizabeth breaking their current silence.

She perked up at his words and frowned at him. "Lucky?" She asked him raising an eyebrow. What in the name of Aslan did he mean she got lucky? She was trapped here, heck she was stuck with a bodyguard around the clock. She couldn't go anywhere without a set of eyes on her, and the General considered this to be lucky?

"I'm talking about what happened earlier. I'm sure you could guess what would have happened if I hadn't made it just in the nick of time when I came to fetch Miraz," the General simply replied with a hint of remorse in his tone.

"Oh," Elizabeth muttered as she practically drained in color at the General's words. So that's what he meant by lucky. In that case, he was entirely right. Elizabeth didn't even want to think of what could have possibly happened if Glozelle hadn't practically rescued her when he did. The idea made her sick to the stomach.

"I can't say I'll always be there to rescue in time like I was, fortunately, able to do today," Glozelle said in a sad but warning tone.

Elizabeth shifted uncomfortably in her saddle as she gripped the reigns tighter underneath her fingertips. "For my sake, I hope you can," she said as she then looked away from the General and rode onward further from the Telmar walls. The further they could get away, the better.

For the most part, Elizabeth went quiet for the rest of the ride and Glozelle didn't feel like bothering her. Now that their horses were casually meandering through the grass in the large field that had entered right beside the edge of the Narnian woods, Glozelle knew they couldn't go any further without either raising suspicion and needing to inform the others where they were headed. Elizabeth knew too, but she was so close to the edge of the Narnian territory that she had the greatest urge to just take off back into the woods. But being here with the General, she felt she owed it to him to stay. As weird as it might have sounded, he had done nothing but helped her since she had been taken captive by the Telmarines. So to just take off back to Narnia and leave him here to deal with the consequences left her with a gut-wrenching feeling.

Glozelle was about to say something to her, but Elizabeth was currently peering at something on the edge of the Narnian woods. A flash of orange and soft yellow fur was moving through the trees and Elizabeth felt her heart lurch in her chest. Her breath hitched in her throat and her mouth dropped open as if to say something but nothing came out. Instead, she remained eerie quiet as she watched whatever it was creep further into the woods.