XIII • Silent Night Raid

Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Silent Night Raid

With the moon high in the sky and in the dark of night, a gryphon silently flapped it's wings through the clouds as it carried Edmund over to Miraz's castle. The air was foggy and it served as great cover for keeping them hidden.

Edmund gave the silent order with his hands to make the landing as the gryphon obeyed and effortlessly swooped down. As a guard was on patrol, the gryphon carefully landed on top of the tower as it carefully set Edmund down. The small sound of the roof shingles shifting with the new weight on top was enough to cause the guard to turn towards the sound. Edmund and the gryphon quickly hid out of sight until the guard turned away from them. The gryphon then quickly grabbed the guard and lifted him up with its claws while Edmund jumped down to replace the guard's now empty spot.

Edmund looked around the tower and found no other guards. As he stepped to the edge of the tower and looked down in the courtyard, he saw some Telmarine's, but none were paying any attention to him. He thought the coast was clear, so he reached into his belt and grabbed his flashlight. After getting his flashlight, he began to turn the light on and off to alert the others that it was safe to start phase two.

Five more gryphons flew in carrying Peter, Elizabeth, Susan, Caspian, and Trumpkin. It had been agreed that they would help open the gate's while the rest of the Narnian army waited in the shadows for the order to storm the castle when the coast was clear. Until then, they waited silently for the order while Nikabrik was brimming with anxiety for the upcoming attack as he looked to Glenstorm who gave the dwarf a reassuring nod. With Glenstorm's order, the army then begins the forward march towards the castle gates where they would wait until the others had freed the gate for them to enter the castle.

Reepicheep and two of his trusted companions snuck into the castle walls by maneuvering through the tight tunnels within and escaping through a small hatch right inside the castle courtyards. After checking to make sure the coast was clear, Reepicheep leads his friends through the holes in the iron gate since they were small enough to squeeze through. They then slowly made their way towards the gatehouse as they saw the gryphon's carrying the others fly over them.

Edmund directed the others with his flashlight on where to land and Caspian was the first to swoop down since he knew the castle better than any of them. Elizabeth was quick to follow with the others behind her. As they made their way down, Caspian carefully bent down from the gryphon as he held on to a claw with one hand and unsheathed his sword with another at an unsuspecting guard. With a swift slash of his sword, he quickly slit the throat of the guard and the guard fell down from the tower down towards the long cavern surrounding the castle. The gryphon then pulled Caspian back up into its clutches and held onto him carefully so he wouldn't drop him. If Caspian were to fall from this height, he would surely be dead.

They had almost made it, but a guard caught sight of Edmund's flashlight and raised a crossbow at the boy to shoot him down. Thankfully, Susan took notice and quickly shot the guard down before he could shoot. This drew the attention of to other guards, but Peter and Elizabeth were now already on the ground. Peter did a quick motion with his sword and one of the guard's collapsed while Elizabeth, not unsheathing any weapons carefully ran towards the other guard. This guard was not wielding a sword either and tried to punch Elizabeth. Unfortunately for him though, Elizabeth was too quick. She grabbed the guard's wrist and twisted it sideways painfully and before the guard could scream out, she jumped up in the air grabbing the guard by his neck with her legs and then flipped him over on his back, quickly rendering him unconscious with the hard fall. She may have been gone from Narnia for a year, but that certainly didn't mean she had forgotten her training.