V • Narnians are Supposed to be Extinct?

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Narnians are Supposed to be Extinct?

When Caspian finally awoke, his head seemed to be pounding. It must have been where the tiny man had hit him in the head earlier that was causing him pain. He lifted a hand up to the injury and found there was a bandage wrapped around his forehead.

He then began to look around the room and was startled to find that he had no recognition of this place. He was laying on a pretty small bed and jolted up when he realized he was in a bedroom of some sort, surrounded by walls of dirt and roots. Caspian observed the tiny room with curiosity and confusion to how he ended up here. He swung his legs off the side of the bed and was greeted by a good pounding from his forehead. As he winced from the pain and reached up to hold the injury as he gently took off the bandage, hoping to calm it, and that's when he heard noises coming from another room.

"This bread is so stale," the voice said and Caspian recognized it as the tiny man that had hit him and knocked him out from before.

"I'll just give him some soup," he heard another voice, a more gentle and friendlier sounding voice.

"He should be coming around soon," the other voice said in a darker and more hushed tone. "I don't think I hit him hard enough."

"For King Peter's sake, please stop that. He's just a boy," the gentler voice reprimanded the tiny man causing Caspian to frown, not familiar with the idiom. 

Caspian stood up and crept over to the entrance of the room he was in since the room had no doors, and peeked in to try and get an idea of who was talking. He crouched behind a tree root that served as an archway into the room and hid behind the root. The root served as a good hiding place for the Prince and helped him remain hidden from whoever lived on the other side of the arch.

"He's a Telmarine, not some lost puppy," the tiny man who seemed to be called Nikabrik argued. "You said you were gonna get rid of him!"

"No, I said I'd take care of him," the voice said kindly and Caspian took a look into the room where the voices were and found a nice small cozy kitchen on the other side. The voice seemed to be coming from a badger. Caspian's eyes grew huge and he hid behind the arch once more.

His heart seemed to be jumping in his chest. Take care of him? What could that possibly mean? There could only be two logical explanations, either the badger was suggesting he was going to care for him and help him, or the badger was going to kill him himself or even turn him over to his Uncle so his Uncle could kill him. Considering the danger Caspian was already in, and the issues of the night before, he was having great difficulty believing the badger could possibly be referring to the first explanation. That could only mean one thing, he was either going to make it out now while he still could, or he was going to end up dead in who knows how long. Caspian took a deep breath to calm his nerves as he had already begun to form a plan.