CHAPTER 39: Spilled the Beans

Damsel pulled her aunt into a big hug and inhaled. She loved how the woman always smelled like cherry blossoms and shea butter.

"Hello beautiful niece. Come in, come in." Aunt Karen pulled James into a hug. "You must be James."

His eyebrows raised with surprise.

"My brother can't stop talking about you."

Damsel's chest clinched when she heard her father's familiar laugh echoing through the house. She rounded the corner looking into the living room and a smile pulled up the corner of her mouth. Papa was telling a story in the animated way that she remembered.

"...and then he found the shoe in the caboose!" Everyone erupted in laughter, slapping knees, hearty robust amusement. Her father turned around his laughing face pulling into a bigger smile. "My Dame. Come here girl!"

Damsel couldn't stop the tears that ran down her cheeks as joy filled her from the top of her head to her toes.

He held her tight and for a fleeting moment she felt like a child again, safe, warm, protected. He pulled away and kissed her on the forehead and gazed at her for a long time before bringing his attention to James who was coming from the foyer talking with Aunt Karen.

"Young man." Her father held his hand out to James and they shook bringing each other into a hug. "Thank you for bringing my baby girl back to me."

"Of course. I'm happy you came today."

"Oh yeah, I missed this. Here let me take that to the kitchen." He grabbed the green bean casserole from James and headed to the kitchen while Damsel greeted and introduced James to the other family members that were sitting in the living room. One of her cousins, Rachel just had a little baby who somehow despite all the noise was out cold sleep in his father's arms. Her cousin Michael was in town from overseas. She hadn't seen him in years.

The doorbell rang and Aunt Karen got up to get it. It was Cammie, Will, and Mama Kane. Damsel's insides twisted around itself when she heard her mother's soft voice greeting Aunt Karen. She was certain her mother was pissed off at her considering she didn't invite the woman to her graduation celebration. She didn't want the negativity. Damsel never introduced James either for similar reasoning. She stood and walked toward the foyer when her mother rounded the corner.

"Mom." She said her voice shaky and quiet.

"Well, didn't know if I'd ever see you again." She pulled her daughter into a hesitant hug. When she pulled away her attention was focused behind Damsel an intimidating eyebrow raised.

"Mama Kane, James. Nice to finally meet you." James said pulling Damsel's mother into an embrace.

"Likewise." She cast a silly smirk in Damsel's direction that took Damsel off guard. Not the reaction she was expecting. "So you're the distraction."

"If by distraction you mean study partner heaven sent then, yes."

She laughed. She actually laughed! Damsel never thought she'd ever hear the sound again. Not since her father left.

"Let me take that to the kitchen." James offered reaching for the porcelain dish she always brought her beans in.

Mama Kane waved him off. "Don't be silly. I'm not a guest, haven't been for a long time."

Damsel exhaled relief washing through her when her mother headed back to the kitchen. She exhaled. That was good. Really good like way better than she thought it could ever be good.

"Your mother's not bad at all. You're just a drama queen." James said after greeting Will and Cammie.

"I-I'm flabbergasted, honesty. I don't think I've seen my mother smile since daddy le..." Damsel broke off when she realized what was about to happen in five, four, three...