CHAPTER 14: Banging on Taut Skin

Damsel parked, turned off her car and took a deep breath exhaling slowly trying to calm her giddy nerves. It'd only been three days but it felt like three weeks since she'd seen James.

She missed him. She missed the way she felt when she was around him. She checked her reflection in the rear view mirror, cleaned the dark lipstick off her teeth and checked the cateye make-up she spent an annoying amount of time applying. She wanted to look edgy, sexy, wild tonight. She smoothed her hands down the short black leather skirt that hugged her hips. She wondered if he would see her as sexy and wild tonight? She wasn't sure why she cared so much. It could be his friend's words that were still echoing in her mind.

She shivered. The friend, Roger, was a creep and she wasn't sure why James called him a friend, but if they knew each other for thirty years the man had to know something about James. Certainly more than Damsel knew.

You're thinking too much. Get out this damn car!  

Damsel planned on sitting in the back with a drink and enjoying her night watching sexy James play but also was hoping to pry a bit more into James through Will. It was apparent to her that Will and James were very close. He had to know things about James that maybe even were unclear to the man himself. Damsel could hear the music several feet before the building came into view. Groups of people were hanging around outside chatting and smoking nodding at her as she approached the door.

A handsome man with dreads down his back opened the door for her. "Welcome pretty lady."

Damsel smiled and entered the premises. A young girl collected her money for the door charge and she headed inside. It was an intimate space surprisingly packed.

Damsel saw James on the hand drums as a woman was singing. Damsel raised her eyebrows. The way he was tapping on the taught skin of the drum gave her a chill. It couldn't be healthy how long if felt since she touch him, kissed him, had him all to herself.

She located the table that James had reserved for them. Will was waiting at the table and waved her over. Cammie, of course, was late. Will stood when Damsel arrived and hugged her taking her sweater.

"Good to see you again Nurse Kane."

Damsel waved him off. "Please, call me Damsel it's my night off." She nodded toward the stage. "He looks at home up there."

Will smiled and nodded his white teeth gleaming even in the dim lighting. "Oh yeah. It's his release."

Not the only release Damsel thought taking a seat.

Will waved down a cocktail waitress. "What does Cammie like?"

Damsel looked over at a nervous Will. Huh. She thought. "Trying to score major points by having a drink ready?"

Will smiled. "Couldn't hurt, right?"

"Oh no, she'll definitely think you're Christ come back."

Will laughed.

"Any cocktail really." Damsel looked at the cocktail waitress in her black corset, fishnet stockings and black boots. "Lemon martini for me."

"Make that two lemon martinis and two beers." Will rubbed his hands together. "So, Cammie's still coming, right?"

Damsel smiled. "You better get used to waiting William. Cammie is always late." By the time Cammie showed up Damsel was already sipping on her martini, eyes closed, riding the smooth vocals of a young woman with a substantial afro. She was singing some India Arie.

"Awe how sweet already got me a drink." Cammie kissed Damsel on the cheek and took a seat next to her.

"That was all Will." Damsel took another sip taking in Cammie's overly sexed up look: cutoff jeans that formed to her bottom leaving nothing to the imagination with a silky top that fell past the waist of her jeans, but there was no back. Shameless.