CHAPTER 5: Sun Catches Gold

James checked his watch again to make sure he had the time right: twelve fifty-seven. He was on...

James's thoughts faded when he saw Damsel walking toward him in a pretty yellow sundress, large dark shades covering half her face, and strappy sandals laced up her calf. That yellow made her skin glow like gold the way the sun was catching it.

"You look beautiful this afternoon." James looked at his own white sneakers trying to temper his greedy gaze.

Damsel smiled returning his embrace. "Thanks. You look nice too." She peeked over at the wicker basket he was holding. "What you got for me?" She smiled up at him that smile making him smile.

Sprung. Shut up! He scolded himself.

"I have a disclaimer because I didn't have any direction."

"Uh, oh." Damsel smirked curiosity evident on her pretty brown face.

James took her hand and strolled into the park. "Let's find a place to spread out."

Damsel stopped walking and took off her sunglasses those dark brown eyes met his a serious look in them. "I want to be upfront and clear with you James."

James brought his attention from her mouth to her eyes. "What's on your mind swee'heart?" He calmed the terror that started his heart beating fast.

"I'm not having sex with you James Stevenson. This ain't no get laid quick scheme."

Well I'll be got damn what the hell did she think he was some two dollar whore!? No dumb ass she thinks you're a reckless ass alcoholic who ended up in the hospital for an overdose.

James took a deep breath before finding her eyes again. "Yes, drill Sergeant."

She frowned up at him and looked away a blush creeping up her cheeks as she gnawed her bottom lip. "I just don't-"

"Oh no," James held up a hand in surrender. "You don't have to explain. He can just imagine what you think about me given the way we met. I have every intention of being a gentleman." He took her hand and kept walking. Funny thing was James had a set of goals for their date and it didn't include getting her naked. He was nervous as hell because his purview was usually very limited and direct when it came to women. He knew what he wanted and the woman was willing to give it. It was about the mechanics from there.

Damsel made him want something he never had before. Therefore, he was lost on how to approach the situation. He knew one thing, and her proclamation confirmed, she didn't have a good impression of him by no fault of her own. He had some work to do, and puttin' in work he had no problem doing. "How's Cammie?" He interrupted the silence as Damsel walked next to him in complete silence her mind deep in thought. She was probably wondering why the hell she agreed to this date.

"She's good. Will?"

James laughed. "He's good, talked to him yesterday. He wanted me to put in a good word for him to you to Cammie." He frowned. "God that sounded less confusing in my head."

Damsel laughed. "I'll let her know he asked about her." There was a small silence before Damsel spoke again. "So, Mr. Stevenson. What do you do to pass the time?"

Well, that was a complex question. What he did before he earned an extended stay and Chateau de Hospital was not what he would be doing. At the moment, he was passing the time with this beautiful woman. "I mean it depends." He pulled his hand from hers to rubbed the back of his neck.

She frowned. "I mean it's not an overly complex question." Her delicate eyebrows pulled together forming a wrinkle on her forehead.

"It kind of is."