CHAPTER 2: Cheeky Trouble Child

"Scalp..." Dr. Mason hesitated his eyes meeting Damsel's. He took the scalpel she'd been holding out to him. "Gau..." Damsel tapped his arm with the gauze in hand. "Thank you, nurse Kane why don't you stitch him up?" Dr. Mason stepped to the side the unconscious man on the metal table's chest was moving steadily up and down as Damsel sowed the bullet wound up making sure to focus all her attention on the task at hand. That way her mind didn't wander. Damsel blinked when that smooth, raspy, low voice whispered in her subconscious mind.

STITCH! She yelled at herself.

Once that was done she backed away from the operating table and headed toward the sanitation chamber. Her ER shift was finally over. Another double under her belt. Once in the chamber there was nothing to occupy her tired mind.

Green.

No, brown.

Damsel laughed to herself. Suppose that's why they called them hazel because they were a blend...

"Damsel? Hey, Damsel?"

Damsel blinked and met bright blue eyes. She cleared her throat. "Uh, yes Dr. Mason?"

The tall, lean man smiled down at her. "I said, you did an exceptional job today. I'm not sure why you're not striving to be a surgeon you've got a steady hand, sound mind. Perfect for the... Damsel, are you, uh, are you okay?" Dr. Mason's brown eyebrows creased with concern.

Damsel flashed a hesitant smile. "I'm fine. I might pursue surgery as a next step, but I wanted to get my MD first." She took her place next to him at the sink after they were stripped of their surgical scrubs and sprayed down in the sanitation chamber.

"Yes," He smiled the corner of his eye creasing with his amusement. "I was very pleased to learn you were pursuing a medical license. It's your calling."

Damsel smiled up at him, a genuine smile this time. He was a handsome man, established, steady, and... engaged, of course. Damsel watched as he put the ring on his newly washed hand. He frowned down at it.

"How's LaRue?" Damsel asked her mind perked up after seeing his face.

His shaky glance made Damsel frown. "Uh, good. She's real good."

"The wedding plans going well?" Now she was just being nosey. She could hardly help herself. Especially since, Dr. Mason was... is her ideal mate. He checks off all the blocks on her list except for the whole unavailable thing, and also comes with some bonuses like being in her profession. He understands the long nights and the exam process.

He smiled with his mouth not his eyes this time. "It's getting expensive, but with LaRue doing the planning I'm not at all surprised."

Damsel laughed as they strolled into the hallway together. She met LaRue and knew the wedding would be amazing, in fact, if Damsel herself ever got married she'd want LaRue to be her planner. "I'm sure. It'll be memorable."

"If nothing else. Are you headed home?" He stopped walking and face her his white lab coat swishing around his form the open front exposing his dark pants and white t-shirt.

"Yeah. going to run upstairs and grab my stuff first."

Dr. Mason nodded. "Good. I hope you get some rest. No studying tonight. Doctor's orders." He smiled a charming smile that melted Damsel's young school girl heart before she stepped into the elevator.

Damsel exhaled letting the noise of the ER escape her mind. Her shifts in the ER were exhausting there was no doubt about that, but Dr. Mason treated her like she was a doctor already in her practicum rather than a nurse. He was always so supportive. Damsel smiled massaging the back of her neck as the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened.