CHAPTER 37: Celebrate Good Times

Damsel rolled her eyes ready to give yet another man the rejection speech when she felt a hand press on her lower back. A chill ran through her when she heard a familiar voice and she paused putting on her jacket. "Don't tell me you're leaving already." She swallowed before looking over her shoulder at that handsome chiseled jaw and those mesmerizing hazel green eyes.

"James? What are you doing here?" It took everything in her to control her breathing to steady her voice.

"A dear friend of mine passed her medical exam and I came to congratulate her. Dance with me."

Damsel smiled heat rising to her face. "It's late."

"There's always time for one dance." He took the jacket from her and placed it back on the hook, then clasped her hand and led her to the dance floor. There were just as a few other couples dancing as well.

"Men have been trying to grope on me all night." Damsel warned.

"With a lady, I can only be a gentleman." James placed one hand on her lower back, traced her arm down to her fingers and tangled them between each other pulling her close with the other. She shivered at the contact then exhaled feeling a load of stress and weight lift from her shoulders. She leaned into his solidity and rested her hand on his chest as they swayed back and forth to the song.

Growing up she moved around alot chasing her mother's opportunities. She never really felt at home since her father left. She hadn't realized until that moment, wrapped in James's arms settled against his warmth that she felt at home. She could imagine waking up under his satin sheets gazing into those hazel eyes as the morning sun made them a beautiful display of marbled greens, greys, and browns.

"You look beautiful tonight."

Damsel's wandering mind found James's face. "Cammie's fault."

"Looks like she missed her calling."

"Same thing I was thinking. I put Mimi on to her. I think they're talking about a collaboration."

James smirked stroking her cheek. She leaned into his touch. She reveled in the smell of his light cologne and aftershave. She ran her hands along the trim of his baby blue suit and patterned tie that was loosened at the neck. The earrings in his ear caught the light. She wanted to nibble those ears. She didn't want to hold onto the thin haze of anger that she used to stay away, to hide... "You look handsome tonight yourself."

"I wasn't sure if I should come. I'm not on the best of terms with the hostess."

She swallowed. "Why did you come?"

He stroked her jaw. "I couldn't miss celebrating this accomplishment that she worked so hard to achieve. I want you to know that despite what happened I knew you could do it. I was supposed to be there for you the day of the exam but I wasn't able to get there."

She licked her lips and found his eye form under her lashes. "What stopped you?"

"Stupid shit. I kept replaying that evening over in my head going over all the things I could have done different to be able to make it, but it doesn't matter. It happened the way it did. Not what I wanted. I would never hurt you Damsel. I never want to disappoint the woman I love but I can't change what happened. I'm sorry I hurt you. I can't imagine what you went through the added stress, added burden."

"Honestly, I'm kind of happy you didn't show up."

His eyebrows twisted in confusion.

"I struggle attributing my success to me rather than those around me that influenced or encouraged me. Passing my exam without anyone there proved to myself that I was capable on my own to achieve my goals."