CHAPTER 30: Just Her Type

"How long have you two been together?"

James shrugged bringing his attention to the pretty woman at his side. "Uh, a few months."

"Awe that's so cute." The woman who James thinks he remembered Damsel calling Larue, said before taking a spoonful of her ice cream. "I would have guessed years you two are so good together."

James smiled and looked in front of them at his Damsel chatting with a Doctor friend of hers. Damsel was all nervous about taking her exam in a few weeks; so, James suggested they get out and meet up with someone she could pull good energy from. "Thanks. You and Doctor Moore have been together for how long?"

"A little over five years." She smiled but it never reached her eyes as she gazed at the pair ahead of them.

"You're unhappy." He stated. He knew that look. He'd seen it in many people's eyes as they struggled through the monotonous day after day of being with someone that was safe.

She looked over at James a frown pulling her manicured eyebrows together. "Usually no. It's just... just..." She broke off her eye falling to the sand as it slipped between her painted toes.

"Go on." James encouraged. This woman knew Damsel and the Doctor for a long time. She had to have some insight that James was curious about.

"It's just... when I see the two of them-" She trailed off. "Sorry I didn't mean-"

"Don't apologize say what's on your mind."

Her dark grey eyes met his. James took another spoonful of his ice cream. "Damsel brings out this side of him that I never get to see...when it's just the two of us."

James frowned meeting the pair in front of them with a suspicious glance. What did the woman mean Damsel brought out a side of him?

Jame scrutinized Damsel and the doctor. They were standing a little too close. Doctor Moore bumped into Damsel a smile on his handsome face as he gazed down at her. Well I'll be got damned. If this ass hole thought he was going to steal James's Damsel away with those bright blue eyes and that tall scholarly posture he was smokin' something good. If he was being honest with himself there wasn't anything he could do if this doctor was her type, the kind of guy she saw herself with.

"You confront him about it?" James grumbled irritated by his own self realization.

She shook her head poking her ice cream with the spoon. "I don't want to seem jealous."

"But you are?" Larue was a really attractive woman, seemed to have a good sense of self and strong disposition. If she was jealous it didn't sit well with James.

She exhaled before looking back up to James. "That's stupid right? I mean I really like Damsel she's a beautiful person. It's honestly nothing against her." Larue looked back down at her ice cream avoiding James's attentive gaze. "Look at me blathering on about this nonsense. Goodness I just met you for heaven's sake."

"It doesn't feel that way though does it?" James tossed a sideways smile at her. He actually liked Larue. She was fashionable but still down to earth and easy to talk to.

She smiled up at James. "If you were in my shoes what would you do?"

James raised an eyebrow. "I'd grab his ass by the balls and let him know what's up."

The woman choked on her ice cream a rambunctious laugh ripped through the calm afternoon air. James couldn't help but laugh at her because she was snorting too. Was that ice cream coming out her nose!

Both Damsel and Doctor Moore stopped walking and stared at James and Larue confusion on their faces.

James patted a coughing Larue on the back. "Are you okay?"