CHAPTER 13: Snake Oil

"Hey, beautiful. Thanks for coming through. I know you're tired. I hope this will be quick so we can get you to bed." James pulled Damsel to him by the small of her back and placed a simple yet spine tingling kiss to her lips.

He was right. She was exhausted. She traded a shift so she could have this afternoon off to help James with something with his movie score. She didn't understand why he called on her since he had a team of some of the best creative minds in music either working with him or a call away. On the other side of things, she was delighted that he wanted to share this part of him with her.

She looked around the space that James moved aside to let her into. It was all black with a long counter attached to the wall. On it set a large board that held knobs and sliders, a computer, speakers and an assortment of other things like pens and paper, sheets of music and the like. There was a large window in front of this set up that looked into a room that had dense lumpy black padding on the walls, and ceiling, a microphone and a set of thick sound cancelling earphones inside.

The space was smaller than she would have thought considering how much time he spent in this place with so many people. He shut the door behind them and offered her a chair near the computer.

"So what's the crisis?" She rubbed her hands down her scrubs as she lowered herself in the chair.

James laughed making his way to the chair next to her right in front of the computer. "So, most of the challenge with this piece is that it's for the M.C.'s romantic time together."

She frowned. She thought James would be well verse in the art of romance, setting moods, peeling off panties. "What are you struggling with?"

"It's got to be the best part of the sound track. No fucking pressure, right. I'm just not in love with anything we've come up with yet and wanted a new set of ears."

Damsel nodded. "Alright. Let's hear what you have so far."

James clicked through a couple things on the screen before the track played. Smooth, slow, dark violins started playing quiet at first then grew louder into a hypnotizing beat. Damsel closed her eyes and allowed the music to soak into her brain. She enjoyed what was going on but when the track ended she agreed with him there something was missing.

"Can I listen to the track before this one?"

James nodded clicking until another track started playing.

She closed her eyes letting the rhythms flood through her being. "Hmm. Yeah I really like this one."

"Me too." He agreed.

"That." She opened her eyes to find confused hazel green eyes gazing at her.

"What?"

"That... those arabic influences are what's missing in the ballad. Something subtle will do the trick I think."

James turned toward the screen and did some clicking around before he played the ballad this time some influences from the other song. The corner of James's mouth pulled up as he bobbed his head to the new improved track. "Yeah, I like that." He stopped the track clicked a few other buttons and replayed it again. A full on smile spread across his delicious mouth bringing her eyes there. He licked his lips and bit his bottom lip. "That's just what it was missing."

"Do you have lyrics yet?"

"Nah. Couldn't get past the track not feeling right."

Damsel nodded enjoying the music as James kept tweaking it. Eventually he stopped making changes and just let the track play.

Damsel found herself humming something mumbling words and sometimes just sounds. She was completely at peace in this place. The sounds of the music and the energy from the creative process feeding the depths of her being.