CHAPTER 31: Dark Doppelganger

James looked at his watch. "We'll be on our way soon." James's manager had been texting for the last twenty minutes. Cammie descended the stairs all dressed up for her date with Will. James got them a reservation at a very nice restaurant as a thank you for Cammie talking Damsel off the ledge at the club. That's right he didn't forget. James greeted Will before James's manager called.

"What's keeping Damsel? We're late."

"Perfection takes time James. It doesn't just happen, nkay?" Cammie pressed a wrap into James's chest.

"No, I'm not talking to you..." James ran his hands down his face. He really didn't need the stress. "Look it's not like these things ever actually start on t-" James stopped in mid sentence when he laid eyes on a gorgeous woman at the top of his stair. "We'll be there soon." James's hung up the phone his attention locked on Damsel who started a careful descent down the stair.

He loved the stair but it never looked as elegant as it did in that moment. Damsel had a long floor length gown that fit her flawless curves until just above her knee where a detailed lace trim skirting flowed around getting longer until it terminated in a small train behind her. There was an embroidered floral design around the bust that wrapped around to the back of the dress the rest of the back sheer. Damsel's makeup was dark and intense, yet, still elegant with a simple brown and gold eye and black lipstick.

Will startled James out of his thoughts as he pressed the box with damsel's jewelry into James's hands taking the shawl. James glared at the silly look on his friends face.

"Well," Will drawled. "We're going to go before we miss our reservation. You kids have fun."

James approached Damsel and opened the box for her to see the necklace. Damsel gasped a manicured had hovering just over her lips. "James." She brought her eyes to his and James melted. She could ask him for an island in the Caribbean and he would move heaven and earth to give it to her. He thought he was smitten before but now there was no going back. Her eyes were moist but she held the threat back probably trying not to mess up her makeup.

The necklace was made up of black diamonds surrounded by black opals and smaller diamonds in an elegant pattern that shaped to the curves of her neckline. There were earrings to match. Damsel turned and let James clasp the necklace around her neck moving her long straight hair to the side.

She almost didn't look like his Damsel. She looked more like a dark, dangerous doppelganger. "You look absolutely beautiful, babe." James placed a soft kiss on her neck.

"You too... I mean you look very handsome." Damsel purred glancing at him from the corner of her eye. She took out the earrings she had in an put in his. "I didn't know you were going to have earrings."

"I didn't know either I saw the set together and I had to get it for you."

Damsel turned toward him lifting her dress a little to twirl around. He final got a look at the gorgeous silver white and black heels.

James bit his bottom lip. "If we stay here... alone... any longer we won't make it to the premier."

Damsel smiled looking down at the floor before finding James's eyes from under her lashes. "Well then handsome let's go then. I refuse to miss a chance to meet Mimi." Mimi played the female lead role in the movie that James produced the music score for. His woman made it very clear how much she loved Mimi.

James laughed placing the wrap around Damsel's shoulders before offering his arm and leading her to their limo.

Damsel was sitting across from James her back to the driver. He sent a quick text to his manager letting the man know they were on their way before the man birthed a cow. James's insides twisted when he saw the look in Damsel's eyes. She was leaning back against the seat her legs crossed a smirk pulling up the corner of her painted lips. She taped the glass partition between the back of the limo and the driver.