CHAPTER 34: Damsel in Distress

James glanced at the flashing low battery sign on his phone while he strolled out to Roger's car with Will and Darnel after leaving Club Blacque. James was exhausted having worked all night on a new music score for a movie that came after Fairest in a series. He was also working in conjunction with Exotica to organize an extreme sports and gaming contest. He'd never taken on anything this in depth before. He was up to his eyeballs in the unknown and had to call in a number of consultations.

James was settling in his role as producer easier than he thought, but the contest was a challenge. Of course he had Exo there to take on most of the burden. He found that he loved when his vision came together seeing the music score and soundtrack incorporation with the film was a feeling he couldn't get not even from driving fast. He truly saw himself as a visionary.

"Hey man are you okay?" Will shoved his hands in his pockets the night air crisp. He wanted to get home and bang out somethings on the piano before he went to bed. He was meeting Damsel early the next morning for a coffee date before she went in and took her exam. James smiled thinking about her. "You've been distracted a lot." Will continued. "Is nurse Kane keeping you busy?" Will chuckled the suggestive tone not going unnoticed.

"I'm just tired is all. Alot going on and it's not all Damsel." James reiterated annoyed with his brother.

They all piled into Roger's car. Roger on the phone the entire walk to the car. James couldn't believe he actually enjoyed this in a time not too far in the past. The club was hype line down the block. They had VIP, section, bottles the whole nine and all James could think about was the contest he was organizing and making it to his meet-up with Damsel the next morning.

"Rog. Drop me at my spot." James figured he could go home shower, get some clothes and go over to Damsel's. It'd be late, but he didn't trust himself to wake up on time.

"I've got to make a stop before I drop yall." Roger said starting the car up and pulling off.

"Drop me at Damsel's it's not too far."

Roger had the music blaring and the other guys were talking over each other about chicks, drugs, and whatever other tomfoolery they were up to. James closed his eyes the music that wouldn't leave his head danced around up there as he envisioned Damsel's voice riding over the track her chocolate fingers rolling over the white piano keys. Her eyes closed as she hummed along to the song. She opened her beautiful brown eyes and they gazed a him the corner of her full lips pulled up as she bobbed her head the rhythm of the music.

James ran his hands along Damsel's wrist, her forearm, over her shoulder, along her collarbone and his thumb stroked her jaw as he cupped her face. She leaned into his touch still playing on the piano. He tipped her face up to look at him her mouth calling to him. James leaned down and touched her lips first with the tip of his nose, then pressed his lips to hers. Her scent floated through his nostrils and wrapped around his mind...

|:|

Damsel rubbed her eyes and pulled her legs over the edge of her bed. She barely slept the previous night, nerves or whatever. She looked at the empty half of her bed. She thought James was going to come over last night. She knew he'd be late but... She shrugged it off and made her way to the bathroom. He might have went home to get ready for their coffee meeting this morning. She wasn't actually sure if she told him to sleep over the night before or not.

She showered and made herself breakfast leaving out the coffee. She checked her phone and frowned. She texted James that morning but he never responded. She grabbed up her keys and left her building heading to the coffee shop.

An hour later she checked her watch. Where the hell was he? This was the most important day of her adult life!

She needed him to be here! He said he would. She was depending on his encouragement, seeing him, holding him. She held back the tears of anger and pain as the reality of the situation started to sink in. She called Will's phone no answer, tried Cammie went to voicemail. Made sense because she was covering Damsel's shift. Damsel started pacing outside the coffee shop. Maybe he was running late.