CHAPTER 21: Shut Up and Drive

"You ok baby?" James rubbed Damsel's leg a concerned look twisted his eyebrows.

She smiled meeting beautiful hazel eyes. "I'm fine." She was distracted by the silly conversation she had with Cammie a few minutes before getting ready for James to pick her up for the car show that evening.

"Damsel what the hell are you wearing?"

Damsel frowned and looked down at her dress. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"The fact that you have to ask just gave me an unwanted chill up my spine." Cammie grabbed Damsel's arm and dragged her into the closet.

"Seriously? James is about to be here any minute." Damsel whined to her friend.

"And he'll thank me even if you won't. What is this?" Cammie flicked the high collar of Damsel's black turtleneck sweater dress. "Are you going to a funeral?" She plucked the sleeves between her thumb and forefinger. "You know you live in L.A. right? It's like seventy degrees outside right now." Cammie was sliding through hangers in Damsel's closet. "I do wonder what you would do without me sometimes."

"Don't you have a work event to get to? Why are you over here bashing my wardrobe selection?"

"Because I'm a good friend. You sounded nervous about the whole thing so bibbity bobbity boo your fairy fashion godmother is here to save your dignity."

Damsel rolled her eyes, crossed her arms and leaned on the door frame while her friend scrutinized many options before settling on something. "Alright boo now we're talking!" She held the outfit up to the light then moved past Damsel and tossed it on the bed. "Well! What are you waiting for? Do I need to strip you down too?"

"Not necessary." Damsel huffed and wiggled out of the knitted fabric. Moments later she was checking out her reflection in the mirror: short jean skirt, Lace crop top and a black satin short sleeve shirt over, low heeled black booties with slouchy knit and satin socks bunching at the top of the boot. "A little slutty but..."

"Sexy."

Damsel frowned. "What?"

"You meant to say a little sexy, but still has the Damsel-ian touch." Cammie said futzing with Damsel's hair.

Definitely not what she was going to say. Damsel's phone vibrated a call from James. "Hey babe, where are you? I'm waiting outside."

Damsel rushed over to the window to find James leaning on the driver's side door of a really mean looking sports car.

"Shittin' on the side of the highway is that a Lamborghini." Cammie voice came over Damsel's left shoulder.

"I wouldn't know." Damsel muttered too distracted by the man next to it. His leg was propped up on the door, one hand in his pocket the other holding the phone to his ear.

He looked like a magazine model, the shirt fitting tight enough to show a shadow of the muscle underneath.

"Baby?"

Damsel snapped out of her trans at James's laughing voice.

"I-I coming right down. How long have you been waiting?"

"I don't know." There was a pause. "Ten, fifteen minutes maybe."

"What? Why didn't you honk?"

There was a blaring horn outside her window.

"That better? Now get your fine ass out here you gonna make us late."