CHAPTER 1: Stone Tablets

Damsel inhaled the fresh air-conditioned scent of hospital and exhaled with a smile. She loved the smell. There was something about it that felt like home.

"Good morning Karrie." Damsel strolled up to her locker and started putting in the combination.

The woman glared at her. "I hope you have a better morning than night."

Damsel frowned. "Dr. Greggs, again?"

Karrie shook her head. "Worst, patient. Pain in the ass patient to be more precise. Remind me why I love this job again?" She pulled her scrubs off then tugged a plain grey t-shirt over her head.

"To help people remember?" Damsel said batting her eyelashes.

Both women held each other's gaze for a moment before they laughed. "Soon you'll be out of the trenches once you take your doctor exams." Karrie started wiggling into jeans.

"You mean, once I pass, my exams." Damsel pulled the uniform top over her head.

"You'll do fine." Karrie waved her off. "Hey, once you get to Chief of Staff promise to throw me a bone?"

Damsel slammed her locked and attached her lock. "I make it that high, I'll make sure you have a pile of bones."

The two women laughed and walked together to the door. Damsel's smile faded after she waved good-bye to her co-worker. Switching careers so late in the game was risky. Ten years ago she followed the opportunity which was nursing like her mother suggested... or rather, demanded. Nursing was cheaper, in fact, paid for, and paid well. You got to be in a hospital, that counted for something, right?

Damsel knew it wasn't enough for her. Being a doctor was all she ever wanted after she found out she couldn't actually be Patti Labelle even after she grew up. Now, he goal of being a doctor was so close at hand it was terrifying.

The test date was a cold chill settled in her spine. Failure was a very real reality, but for her it wasn't an option. Pursuing her medical license was against her mother's wishes so Damsel had to prove the woman wrong. Damsel pushed her insecurity and anxiety from her mind and focused on the pathetic face of her best friend and colleague, Cammie, as she approached the nurses station to get her day's assignment.

Cammie attracted the wrong kind of men. Sexy, loaded with swag, but the worst kinds of people who took her caring nature for granted. Bottom feeders... they were fine as hell, but terrible, no good scrubs.

Damsel placed the piece of paper on the nurses station in front of Cammie. "You asked. I answered."

Cammie took the piece of paper. "Damsel what the hell is this?"

"Life is chaos. It is our job to bring order." Damsel was proud of a lot of things, but her list was one of those things that was a secret joy. She was saved so many times by following her list. A list that gave order to the chaos that was the dating battlefield.

Cammie shook her head after scanning the page. "The heart wants what it wants Dame."

"I'm calling you on your bullshit right now. Your heart is too important to leave it's protection up to chance and life is too short wasting it on people that don't deserve you."

Cammie rolled her eyes and was silent while she read the page. "I mean some of them I get

'Thou Shalt Not: smoke, partake in excessive drinking or experiment with recreational drugs, lie, cheat, steal.'

That all makes sense, but no tattoos, seriously? What's wrong with tats it's about self expression and frankly down right sexy. And what's up with the 'Thou Shalt Not' like these are on the stone tablets written by the Lord?"