Part 20

“Me and my men can’t stand dwarves. It might be hard to get them to work with you.” He thought for a moment, “You can work with the elven crew, they don’t like dwarves, but at least they won’t kill you while you’re on your tea break.” He let out a cackle then shouted, “Spendo, get over here.” A slender elf dressed in white overalls and square cap made his way over to the supervisor’s workstation. “This is Sid” he says he is a Loompa Oompa, but he smells like a dwarf, see he’s settled in with you.”

  Spendo nodded slightly to Sid, “This way Sid.”

  As they made their way over to the elven section Spendo whispered to Sid, “Don’t mind him, he’s not bad for a goblin really.”

  “Eh,” said Sid

  Spendo looked at him, “I forgot, dwarven hearing is not as good as ours.” He looked at Sid again, and repeated, a bit louder, “Don’t mind him, he’s not bad for a goblin really.”

  “Oh,” said Sid “Sorry I’m a bit gruff, er, had a bad nights sleep.”

  “So what’s a dwarf doing here then?” asked Spendo.

  “I’m not a dwarf I’m a Loompa Oompa.”

  “Pull the other one. Even I can tell you’re a dwarf.”

  “Err,” erred Sid, “I needed the money for Christmas.”

  They passed some goblins who were arguing. “What was your objection? Even Verno heard nothing. I heard a sound from that engine. 24-7 we looks after ’em. Listening to that I’ll say he’s deaf and we need a new engine.”

Buy The Sitting Duck on the Kindle 

USA http://tinyurl.com/6mxpldv

UK http://tinyurl.com/7mu3znf