No Air

CHAPTER 48

Thank fuck the flight didn’t leave till late tomorrow, Noah thought as he slammed the door to his apartment shut continuing to strip off his shirt as he went. His waistcoat and tie was already gone so by the time he hit the bedroom he was in his boxers. He sat on his bed running his hand through his hair.

He really shouldn’t have done that to Eva, he rued but he wanted to be away from her as well still it was no way to treat his wife. He would apologize for that later he decided heading for the bathroom but not for trading her. After that knee, he almost wished Cooper succeeded.

Eva on the other hand wished she kneed him harder. How dare he treat her like that! Through her anger and tears she waited as her super repaired her door. In her anger and impatience she had kicked it in, much to the horror of her creepy neighbor Mr. Morris who let her in the building and tried to console her when he noticed the tears and wedding dress.

“I cant believe he stood you up.” Mr. Morris assumed.

“I almost wish he did, but we got married.” Eva corrected as she tore at her wedding dress. The thing was practically impossible to remove without help. She would just have to wait till Kate arrived. She collapsed in the armchair and Mr. Morris approached cautiously.

“Could I be of assistance?” he suggested.

“No thank you.” She responded frostily.

“Shouldn’t be to hard to get an annulment.” Mr. Morris suggested slyly.

“No its not.” Eva agreed dejectedly.

Encouraged, he came even closer, stroking up and down her bare arm “You deserve better. That hot shot did know how to take care of a woman like you.” Mr. Morris crooned.

“Get out!” Eva hissed as she stared him down. He removed his hand as if it were on fire and backed away.

“If you ever need …” the words died in his throat at her deadly glare. “I’ll just go.” Mr. Morris rushed out as he hastened to the door almost tripping over the super in his haste.

Eva relaxed into the cushions as she contemplated her next move. Creep was right about one thing, Noah didn’t deserve her. Tears formed once again at that thought as she pictured life without him. Her heart ached, it felt like she had a crushing weight on it. She fought for every breath she took as her throat constricted and she wept in big gasping sobs.

Poor Mr. Newman, her super was at a loss at what to do for the woman weeping behind him. Should he cross the professional line and offer some form of comfort? He was saved from doing anything as Kate swept passed him in her wedding finery.

“Oh Lord!” Kate exclaimed as she pulled Eva into her arms. “Tyler said you always look good in black.”

Eva chuckled through her sobs and Tyler’s suggestion. She never wanted to see him dead besides what she had in mind was more along the line of torture. She shook her head in response and Kate pressed “You sure?”

“Yes, help me out of this dress.” Eva asked softly, rising out the armchair.

“This is why you should never fall in love.” Kate remarked bitterly. “You make stupid decisions like getting married and not hurting people.”

“Um Miss?” Mr. Newman called tentatively. It was actually Mrs. But Eva didn’t bother to correct him. “I’m done here. The lock is the only one I had but it will do for now. I’ll put on the bolts tomorrow and upgrade the lock.”

“That’s alright. I don’t think you get many kicked in doors.”

“Not by brides, no.”