A Visit From Eva

CHAPTER 11

Why the hell was he a nervous wreck? Noah thought as he held his cellphone is his hands. Its just a call, he thought, people make calls everyday. For the third time he second guessed himself then wondered can you second guess yourself three times. This is stupid, he thought first or was it second? He asked himself maddeningly.

After the discussion in the lab, Noah decided he need to know what Eva did with her time. He knew she worked from home as a financial manager, so her hours were flexible but he needed her full itinerary. Also he had to find a way to protect her if Welker was making it personal.  He debated whether he should send a security team to watch over her like he did his mom. His uncle was covered as he already had his own security detail.

Inviting her to the brunch on Sunday, seems the surefire way to get her to listen to his plans as the prospect of her meeting his mother was sure to please her. And that’s what was sending him into panic mode. The meet his mother bit. He hadn’t brought over a girl to meet his mom since high school. Even he knew what a meeting with the parents meant. At least he didn’t have to worry about that on Eva’s end as both her parents were dead.

How was he going to play this off without it looking like he was rushing things. Did he want to rush things? Noah wondered. Would she mind if he rushed things? “No. no. no. No.” Noah said out loud to himself pacing. "Definitely NOT!” Too early in the relationship for that he decided. Relationship “hah!” he exclaimed internally. We barely had two dates. Not what you’d really call a relationship. Come on man, he prodded internally you know you need to do this. Just dial.

As if by divine providence, the decision was taken from him, when his phone vibrated in his hand. Checking the screen he said “Shit” he said pulling at his hair. “How?” he began pointing at the screen. Answering he spoke hurriedly “Eva, I was just about to call you…”

“Eva?” Evaline replied coldly.

“I-I-uh shortened your name, just a little nickname” Noah stammered quickly beginning to regret that decision.

“Oh” she replied in that breathy tone of hers. “Pet name.” then continued “I wasn’t aware we were doing pet names.” Noah was about to tell her it was a mistake when she said “I guess I have to come up with one for you.”

Noah, now relaxed by her response was about to ask her about the brunch when she uttered “Anyway the reason I called is to ask permission to come up. I don’t know your apartment number…”

“Come up!” Noah almost squealed. Key word: almost.

“Yeah,” she stressed “come up” and then in her sirens voice said “I have a surprise for you.”

Noah almost blurted ‘naked surprise’ then stopped himself.

Key word again: almost.

“So what’s the number?” she asked interrupting his thoughts.

“Ahh…” he said as he raced around his apartment straightening up, not that he was a slob, he couldn’t be with a military upbringing but all his lust fogged brain registered was ‘Eva in his space, Eva alone with him, Eva with condoms and a bed nearby’. He must have told her something because she said “Ok honey see you in a sec.”

Dropping the phone he raced to his bedroom when was the last time he changed his sheets? Not waiting for his brain to provide the answer he dragged it off his bed and ran slid to the linen closet dumping the sheets in the hamper along the way. Thank fuck for dear old dad and his obsession with a perfectly made bed because he was able to do a decent job of it in seconds. Standing there watching the bed he started to imagine Eva in it…then sniffed. Should he have another shower? He smelt ok but would Eva think so? A little cologne then he decided.