Chapter 3

I was awake and it was Saturday morning and according to Lana I have to spend the day 'out' having 'fun'.

Lana had told me that I had to leave at 10 am and be home no earlier or later than 10 pm. I look at the clock.

9:45 am.

15 more minutes.

I really don't want to do this. But Lana is going through a tough time so I should at least correspond with her wishes. Besides, she thinks i'll be happy doing this and that makes her happy.

I went through my checklist of stuff i'm bringing with me today.

-Razor blades 

-Sterilizing wipes 

-Band-aids 

-Money $50 

-Jacket 

-Book 

All I have planned to do today is find a quiet place in town close to home, but not too close so I don't bump into Lana. I have a really thick book and it should be able to hold me for fourteen hours. I glanced at the clock.

9:55 a.m.

"Sabrina?" I hear Lana call from downstairs. "You have to leave now." 

I grab my backpack full of all my things and run downstairs. 

"Hey," Lana says. "What are you planning on doing today?"

"Um, I might see a movie with some friends." I lie. "And then we might hang out all day."

"Okay, have fun!" Lana says as I walk out the door. 

I walk out into the narrow streets of Philadelphia. It took me a while to get used to these streets after moving from Florida to here, it was a big change. In Florida the streets are open and have a nice amount of space. Here though the streets are narrow and barely fit the cars that ride on them. Plus, the streets are really close to the buildings; I have no idea how people don't get accidents easily.

The pedestrians even walk in the middle of the streets! No caution! Another thing is all the buildings are made of bricks and very narrow and tall; even the stores are located on the bottom part of those tall buildings. They all look the same to me I don't know how people navigate around here.

I was walking on the sidewalk very close to the building trying to get as much space from the street as possible. There was so many people briskly walking around to me. While i'm walking I think about how all these people have a place to go, they all have destination.

Me, i'm just trying to fill in the time. Which is exactly why i'm just going to walk carelessly around for a while. Unlike the people around me I have no place to belong to, so I don't have to worry about it. 

I was just thinking and not really paying attention to where i'm going. That's when I hit something hard and fell to the ground. 

"Ouch!" I say rubbing my head and getting up slowly. Those around me are just going off with they're business stepping over me, trying not to get involved.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" I hear a male voice say. 

When i'm up all the way I open my eyes to see that things are still a little fuzzy. As my eyes come to focus I see a boy. He was about my age with pale blond hair cut short and gray, sad eyes.

"I'm fine." I say brushing myself off. 

"I'm sorry I hit you I was just trying to walk and read at the same time." He says with a small smile, raising the dark book in his hand. "Are you injured?"

"No, i'm fine really." I say trying to find a way to escape from him.

"I'm Cole." He says bringing his hand out for me to shake.