Chapter 11

As Cole walks me home I can't help but think about the things he confessed to me. About his father being murdered in front of him, and him being in a medical hospital for a whole week. His answers only gave a thousand more questions.

Unfortunately, i'm not a pushy person.

I can't keep asking him questions that really aren't my business. Just like he doesn't pry into my private life, I shouldn't pry into his. Even though it eats me inside out.

When we get there he decides to come inside the condo with me. I don't argue because I know Lana is in her room still and that she won't come out. I still can't stop myself from being really nervous about having Cole and Lana in the same building let alone the same condo. They're two different parts of my life that I really don't want to collide.

"Its really homey in here. But really clean." Cole says as he looks around.

I take a good look at the place myself. I can't say i've noticed how untouched and it looks. I've been eating scraps all day which didn't make a mess and Lana only ate when I tried to force her. The house looks like it hasn't been lived in for weeks.

It just reminds me of how Lana isn't working. She has an excuse because of her pregnancy for her long days off but if it wasn't for that... she wouldn't have a job to get back to.

"Yeah." I whisper.

Cole turns to me. "I have another question." He says.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "What is it?"

"Why don't you sleep?" He asks.

I sigh knowing he was going to ask this sooner or later. "Maybe we should talk about this somewhere else." I tell him and then I start leading him upstairs and into my room. I always feel safe in here. And what i'm about to tell him deserves a safe place.

I motion Cole to sit on the bed, and when he does I sit next to him.

I take a deep breath before going into the details.

***********************************************************

Flashback...

"Dad you seriously need to drive faster." I whine in the back seat. "I mean, my favorite show is on in an hour!"

The windshield wipers were swiping ferociously with all their might but the rain was extremely hard, it was all just a blur; not to mention how dark it was outside. To think it was only 8:30 pm.

"Sweetie, it might take more time than we thought." My dad says squinting through his glasses to see the road. "This rain is really going down hard."

My mom nods in agreement. "Maybe we should head back. I mean with this rain wind combination... I might even have to skip night school." My mom trys to look outside but you could tell she couldn't see anything clearly.

"Turn back?!" I screech. "We can't turn back! Were almost there! Everything will be ruined!"

My mother sighs and my dad frowns. I was such a brat back then wasn't I?

If it was even possible the rain starting falling harder and the wind was blowing faster. It got so cold. That was something I could remember clearly. How cold it was so I became completely numb.

Suddenly a big branch flies off a tree and barely misses crushing the car. My dad slams the brakes and parks on the side of the road.

We were all shell-shocked and and silent for a moment. "That's it. Were turning back to find some sort of shelter." My dad says. "The hurricane must be starting tonight."  My mom nods in agreement.