Chapter Twenty one ♥ "Confessions"

Chapter Twenty one

                                             “Confessions”

                                     الشعرُ في هذا الزمانِ فَضِيحةٌ ، والحُبُّ في هذا الزمانِ شَهيدُ

Hamad

Two days before the wedding

As the raises of the shining sun embraced the city of Dubai, in the house of late Ali, Hamad sat joined by his mother at the table, having breakfast. She poured him a glass of orange juice, he drank, smiling as he did so and watched her make him a sandwich.

“Why am I being taken care of? It’s Mahra’s wedding, not mine.” He began as she handed him the sandwich.

“I know that, but you are my only son.” She replied, placing the bowl of olives near him. 

“Only son or you want someone to take care of all the work on your daughter’s wedding?” He teased and nudged her a little. “Huh ya umm Hamad, go on admit it.” Umm Hamad was grinning widely because her son was partly right.

“Allah yesamhak, now a mother taking care of her son would mean that?” She answered in a light tone which was mixed up with some fake ire. Hamad smiled chewing his food and then took a sip of his juice.

“Yeah,” He swallowed remembering something. “Did Mahra buy herself everything or is something still remaining?”

“No, she bought all that she thought she would need and more.” Umm Hamad said, pouring tea in a cup for herself.

“Mother, make sure there’s no reduction in her stuff. Buy her all that she wants or has ever wished for.” Hamad spoke. “She’s my youngest sister and has no one aside from me; there must be no room for shortage.” He finished.

“There will not be In Sha Allah, I won’t let that happen. She is my daughter as well, your father’s last souvenir.” Umm Hamad paused for a while, staring at the table. “I wanted to buy most of her belongings myself and I did, that’s why there’s still a large amount of money remaining from her Mahr (Dowry) you should put it in her bank account for later use.”

Hamad nodded remembering the day of his sister’s Milcha at the court. After both Zayed and Mahra had signed the marriage contract, Zayed and his father had given him a check, saying it was Mahra’s Dowry. When Mahra was asked to specify the amount of money she wanted, she said she didn’t want anything as her dowry but Waleed insisted she does. It was her right, the right Islam has given her.

He was lost in his thoughts when he heard Reem and her husband Khalid coming down the stairs. Khalid had been staying in there house to help out Hamad with the wedding; as a brother-in-law it was Khalid’s duty. They came down and wished the mother and son a good morning. Young Asma was right behind them, she ran up to her uncle Hamad who picked her up and placed her on his laps.

When Khalid sat down next to Hamad, he noticed his brother-in-law looked slightly worn out. “Khair Insha Allah, Are you all right Khalid? You look a bit tired.” He observed.