Chapter 72 Breakups and Makeups

Chapter 72

Katniss Pov.

"If you let me talk, your punishment is over." Mom tells me as she walks through my bedroom door.

"Fair enough." I say and sit up.

"I know I was harsh, and if you're happy I should allow you to continue to be happy. I guess the truth is that I'm jealous, because I didn't have your life in high school. I was the nerdy girl reading science books. You, you're smart, you're pretty, you're what I've wanted to be. And I'm sorry for being so selfish, Katniss." she hugs me and I awkwardly hug her back and pat her back. "Now, go have a good summer."

"Thanks, mom." I throw on my shorts and tank top and I drive to the mall and meet Cato. I realized our summer of excitement is over. Now I have to break up with him. I like him as a friend, only as a friend. I dated him to have the epic summer that everyone dreams of. Now that it's over, he and I are over.

"Hey Cato, I gotta tell you something important," I start.

"Katniss, I'm so happy to see you, I've had the worst day." he tells me.

He's not making this easy. "What happened?" I ask.

"You know my older brother?" he asks. I nod. "You know how he was in the military?" I nod again. "Katniss," he starts to cry. "He was killed today."

"Cato, I'm so, sorry." I tell him.

"Let's just not talk about it anymore." he stops crying. "What did you want to tell me?"

I can't do it today, or tomorrow. I'm not going to. "I wanted to tell you that," he looks at me waiting for my answer. He needs me to say something to take his mind off of what happened to his brother. This might hurt him later, but for the moment it will keep him happy. "I love you."

"Really?" he asks happily.

"Really, really." I fake a smile.

"I love you too."

"Mhm." is all I say. I feel so guilty. I don't mean it. I said it to make him happy, that's the only reason.

"You have no idea how happy this makes me, you're not very emotional so when you tell someone you love them you really really mean it."

He's making this lie impossible. "Cato I can't-"

"What?" he asks.

"I didn't mean to say that I love you, I just felt bad, something bad happened to you today, I tried to make you feel better I'm really sorry."

"Thanks for telling me, I guess. I have to go."

"Cato-" I grab his arm, he looks at me. "Do you ever think we're better as just friends?"

"Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't."

"Could we just go back to being friends?" I ask.

"Yea." he hugs me and kisses my forehead and I go home.

I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders. I decide to text Peeta.

"Hi."

He doesn't respond for at least an hour.

"Hey, sorry I didn't get back, I was busy."

"On a date?" I ask.

"Were you stalking me? 😜" he asks.

"In your dreams! Btw I know what you did at the mall."

"Oh, sorry... I was jealous I guess."

"Per usual."

"Katniss, would you want to get back together?"

"Ummm... Sure?"

"What's the ? For?"

"Cuz, I don't know.. lol okay yes."

"Cool."