Chapter 27 Jealousy Part 2

Chapter 27

Peeta Pov.

I go home and sit in my room. I get a text from Fox. Oh great. I see the text and it's pictures of Cato and Katniss from today. They're hugging in front of their cars, and laughing in a cafe at the mall. She was babysitting yesterday, that was a lie. She was actually on a date with Cato! What if Fox photoshopped them? Wait, Fox doesn't have a smart phone, she has a camera though. She cheated on me? I guess none of this is cheating, that could be a 'friend hug' and laughing doesn't mean they're dating. But she didn't tell me. I don't know why she'd do this. I would've been a little mad that she was hanging out with him alone, but she lied to me. I try to go to sleep, but I keep tossing and turning at the image of her in his arms.

--------------------------------

I wait at school with Finnick, Thresh, Annie, and Jojo. Usually Katniss is here early.

"Did Fox send you a text message of Cato and Katniss together?" I ask them.

They nod their heads, "I don't know if it's true though." Jojo says.

"But it's not like they were kissing, or holding hands. They weren't doing anything that looked liked they were on a date. Even if the pictures are real, I don't think this was a date." Finnick says.

"I hope you're right." I say. We talk a little more and Cato pulls up with Marvel, Glimmer, Clove, and Katniss, sitting in the front with him. I walk over to the car. "Katniss, what's this?" I show her the pictures.

"Chill man, we just grabbed some coffee. We ran into each other at the mall." Cato tells me.

"I thought you were babysitting yesterday Katniss." I tell her, not ready to believe Cato's story.

"I can explain everything. I finished babysitting early, went to the mall, ran into Cato at the coffee shop, we sat down, had a drink, and when I was walking to school to save gas, he gave me a ride." she explains.

"Why didn't you ask me to hang out?" I ask.

"I just wanted some alone time that's all, the coffee shop was busy that's why I sat with Cato." she points at the picture, "see all the people?"

"Yes. One more question, why are you hugging in this picture?" I show her the other picture.

"Because, friends can hug right?" she asks.

"Yea, I'm sorry, I just I'm insecure." I tell her.

She laughs a little and gets out of the car, "See you Cato!" she smiles at him and waves, for some reason, that was one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen on her face.

"Katniss, you don't still like him do you?" I ask.

"Peeta, look at Fox and T. Why did they break up?" she asks.

"Fox was jealous. Ohhh. Sorry, I'll stop now." I realize what I was doing.

She laughs a little. We get to lunch and Katniss sits with us. Cato comes up behind her.

"You can sit with us if you want." he tells her and a smile creeps up on her face, even though she's trying to fight it. Why is she always so... happy around him?

"I'm gonna stay here today Cato, maybe some other time?" she says.

"Yea, the seat is always available for you." he tells her and walks away.

I turn red from anger and try to hide it but it's hard.

"Peeta? You okay?" Katniss asks.

"Yea I'm fine, I just, this salsa is spicy." I tell her. Good thing I'm eating chips and salsa, otherwise I wouldn't have an excuse.

"Good." she says. The rest of the day, Cato flirts with her, she giggles, laughs, blushes, smiles. What am I going to do?

"Katniss want to go out to lunch? I gotta talk to you it's important." I ask her.

"Sure, let me reschedule with Cato." she walks over to him and they talk for six or seven minutes and she walks back over to me. "Meet me at Troy's for lunch?"

"Perfect."