you look beautiful when you smile

It was Monday, so it was a busy day at work for Luke because everyone wanted their coffees on Monday. Luke worked at Starbucks, he had been working there for a bit over four months. It wasn't the ideal job for the money he needed, but he loved working there.

Working at a coffee shop gave Luke the opportunity to meet lots of new people, he never knew who would come in and that was exciting to him. Everyone had a different story to tell him, and he loved listening. He made tons of friends just by working there. Luke loved making people smile, so he'd always compliment his customers. Most of the time he'd just compliment them on their outfit. But if he could tell they were having a really bad day, he would write a small message on their coffee cups telling them to keep their head up. That always made the customers happy, and by making them happy, it also made Luke happy. He was just a people pleaser.

This Monday started no different than all the others, the people were their usual grumpy selves. Monday mornings were tough, Luke knew that so he always upped his game on Mondays to make people smile.

He recognized most of the customers but there was a boy Luke didn't recognize, Luke knew that if he had seen that boy before he would of remembered him. He was breathtaking. The boy had dark brown hair, but his hair had different colours in it as well. That look wouldn't suit most people, but on that boy it just worked. The boy had beautiful green eyes, his skin pale and his lips a natural shade of pink.  Luke wanted to see the boy smile, he wanted to be the reason the boy would smile.  Minutes later the boy was right in front of Luke taking his order. Close up, Luke could see the dark circles under the boy's eyes and they were red and puffy as well. It looked like he had just finished crying. Luke frowned, this boy was too beautiful to be sad.

"can I have a tall black coffee please?" the boy asked in a quiet voice.

"sure, what's your name?" Luke asked with a small smile.

"Michael" the boy told him, not looking up.

. "I like that name, it's nice" Luke said to him. The boy looked up then.

"thanks" Michael said, and his lips curled up slightly. Luke smiled at him.

"that'll be $2.35" Luke said. Michael nodded and dug his hand in his pocket, looking for his change.

"wait, no don't worry about it. It's on the house" Luke said suddenly.

"are you sure?" Michael asked him, and gave him a funny look. Why would someone he didn't know, give him a free coffee?

"yeah, absolutely" Luke said.

"why? I can pay for it" Michael told him, showing him his money.

"I know that, but you seem kinda down and I wanted to make you smile" Luke admitted.

Michael's cheeks turned slightly pink and he smiled. "oh" was all he said. They both looked at each other, and it was like one of those cheesy movie moments where time stopped, while they both stared at one another. Only time didn't stop, and the customers behind Michael were getting annoyed.

"hurry up, I have work I need to get to" a lady called out.

"oh, uh yeah" Michael said, and walked to the side of the counter waiting for his coffee.

The wait wasn't long, it only took two minutes for Luke to make the coffee. When Luke handed Michael his coffee, their fingers touched and they both felt their cheeks heat up.

"thanks for the free coffee"

"anytime" Luke said softly. Michael turned around and walked out the doors of the coffee shop. He took a sip of his coffee, and kept walking in the direction of his school.

It took Michael fifteen minutes to get to his college, by that time he had finished his coffee. He was about to throw it out before he walked in the building, but then he noticed something written in messy handwriting on the cup. "you should smile more often, you look beautiful when you smile" it read.  Michael bit back a smile, and shook his head. He would definitely be going back to that coffee shop.

A/N: hey, sorry I haven't posted anything in a bit. I've been pretty busy, but I wrote this short starbucks au.  I thought this was cute, i don't know. It's not that great but it's alright. anyways, thanks for reading! you're all great, and amazing and beauiful, wonderful people. have a lovely weekend. x