Chapter 42 - Recovery.

As usual it's not edited. Sorry :(

Chapter 42

"That was a little harsh Amber." I murmur quietly.

"Harsh?! I need to change my undies after that." Amber says as she takes the seat next to the bed. I look back down at the bandages around my wrist.

"It's not his fault. You had it coming." I shrug.

"I hope he's lying." She says quietly, her mood shifting dramatically. 

My expression softens.

"I wouldn't question him." I say honestly. 

"How would he know?!"

I shrug.

Amber sighs under her breath to herself. "Anyway, enough about me. How are you feeling?"

I sight this time.

"I'm good." I swallow and she raises her eyebrow speculatively.

"You think I believe that?"

I roll my eyes. "I was good, but now that I've found out about my baby-" I choke on my words and look back down as I try to suppress the tears that wither along my lash line and I blink them away rapidly.

Shake it off Re.

Stay strong.

"Did he tell you or did the doctor-"

"I figured it out." I murmur, effectively cutting her off and she shuts her mouth. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" The feeling of betrayal falls through me again and my face hardens.

"We thought that if Zayn told you, it'll give him some kind of-"

"Grief?"

She winces. "Yeah."

"You give him more than grief." I scowl.

"No I don't!"

"Yes you do!"

"Okay fine, maybe I do just a little but someone needs too."

"You don't need to do anything."

She sighs over dramatically. "I'll stay out of it then!"

"You better." I murmur tiredly.

A knock is sounded through the

room and in walks a well dressed man that looks to be around his early thirties. He smiles pleasantly, but there's a look about him that takes no shit.

"You must be Victoria Greene." He questions. "I'm Detective Dwayne. It's a pleasure to finally meet you conscious." He offers a hand and hesitantly, I take it and we shake curtly.

"Please call me Re." I say politely and he nods. 

"Miss Coventry may I ask for some privacy? I have a few questions to ask Re before Mr Malik retur-

"Detective, I specifically told you she wasn't ready for questioning!" By the sound of bitterness, I hear Zayn and soon after I see him walking in and I don't realise until now, how tense I was.

"Mr Malik. It's a pleasure to see you again." The detective murmurs unappreciated.

"She's not ready." Zayn says sternly.

With a heavy sigh? The detective glances back at me and I freeze again.

"Miss Greene, would you like to continue on, or shall I arrange a more suitable time?"