84

The Panthers were wearing white for this afternoons game against the Giants. As Harrison jogged back to the sidelines after the coin toss, he couldn't help but smile. It was game day, his favorite day of the year. To Harrison, game days were holidays.

He gave Coach Rivera a high five as he headed to fetch his helmet. The Panthers were receiving the ball to kick of the game, meaning he might get to play some tight end and a little bit of fullback this afternoon.

It was a new strategy he and the Panthers coaching staff were trying out. He excelled at breaking through the offensive line on defense so they decided he would be a major asset to prevent that on the offensive side. Harrison could read plays so easily, and he was a good blocker.

He strapped on his helmet as he stood at the very edge of the sidelines. Christian ran back the kickoff from the front of the end zone, and out to the 23-yard line.

This was the loudest and fullest Bank of America Stadium had been since the last postseason run. From what he could see, there were no seats left, and was down to standing room only in the tunnels that led out to the seats.

He stood right next to his coach, and watched him call plays to see what the offense would be running. "When am I going in?"

"I don't know yet," Coach Rivera answered, causing Harrison to smile under his helmet.

The first two plays of the drive, Cam Newton was hit both times by the Giants pass rush. Then he was pushed out onto the field by his coach, hearing the words, "go."

"What package do you want me in?"

"Go give Cam some help on the right side."

He nodded and joined the huddle where Cam was calling the next play. "PA roll it," he said. "Harrison, left to right."

It was a play action pass where Harrison would shift from beside the left tackle to reinforce their right tackle and stop anyone trying to come at Cam.

Cam tapped his foot, signaling Harrison to switch to the right side. After he passed behind the center, the ball was snapped back to Cam who faked the handoff to the Panthers other running back Jonathan. Cam dropped back in the pocket as Harrison blocked the safety coming in for the blitz.

They did a circle around Cam. That was because Harrison couldn't grab any of his jersey, or he'd be called for holding. So he and the safety pushed and pushed at each other.

Cam ended up dumping off a five yard pass to Christian for the first down. And that was the end of Harrison's offensive action for now. He gave some of the guys high fives and jogged off the field.

❺❾

The Panthers were at the Giants 4-yard line when Harrison got in for the second time this drive. They were running a play action pass like last time, except both Harrison and Greg would go out with Kelvin to make three receivers.

Cam caught the snap as Harrison began his route. He ran past the defensive end and into the end zone where he quickly cut to the right as the pass from Cam was headed in his direction. As the ball hit his fingertips, two Giants defenders were already on him. Harrison secured the ball against his body as he was brought down in the end zone for a Panthers touchdown.

He was on his feet in a hurry. Cam and a few other guys were already patting his helmet as he started his touchdown dance. Instead of spiking the ball, Harrison held onto it as he jogged over to the sidelines.

Luke immediately crushed him in a big bear hug. "YEAH!"

"THAT'S HOW ITS DONE!"

Harrison continued through the sidelines, giving each and everyone a high five. Then he found Carrie taking a picture of him. He tossed her the ball.

"What do you want me to do with this?"

"Keep it for me. That was my first NFL reception."

She nodded and stuffed the ball in her bag before any of the refs or sideline officials came and coaxed her to hand the $100 football back over.

"Keep kicking ass."

"I will."

❺❾

Harrison jogged onto the field for the Giants first possession of the game. As planned, their cornerback Josh Norman was covering Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. It would be interesting to see how that matchup played out this afternoon.

He set the defense in the nickel package as Giants quarterback Eli Manning caught the snap from his center. Harrison shifted towards Josh since the two of them were double teaming Odell. It was a short pass thrown to Odell, who easily juked out Josh before Harrison could get over there.

So Harrison was now chasing Odell down the sidelines while safety Mike Adams came in at an angle. Harrison was able to catch him first. He jumped up on Odell's back, making his weight enough to bring him down after the 44-yard gain for the Giants.

On the way back to the huddle, Odell got in Josh's face, something everyone had been quite accustomed to seeing. Harrison slipped in between, pushing the two guys apart and to their respective huddles.

He covered his ear holes in his helmet and received the next play from their defensive coordinator. And again, Eli Manning passed to Odell. He was hit by Harrison from behind, a moment after releasing the ball.

Josh hit Odell as he caught the ball, forcing it out of his hands and to the turf. That's when Josh said something. The pushing started and eventually into a fight.

Normally Harrison would help his teammates out in a scrum, but not when it happened every time they played the Giants. As players, refs, and coaches went running in that direction, he helped Eli Manning to his feet.

"Thanks man."

"No problem."

Just then Luke walked over, letting out a huge sigh as he stood beside the two of them.

"This is only a little bit annoying," Harrison muttered under his breath.

Eli heard him and laughed. "Only a little bit," he answered sarcastically. "I wish the refs would kick them both out."

"Maybe an ejection would serve a better purpose than a fine."

Just then three of the refs flew a flag. "Wonder who that's on?" Luke asked from beside them.

It was determined that the flag was on Odell. Eli shook his head, cussed quietly, and headed towards the Giants sidelines. "When can we ever play a game of football with those two?" He asked as he walked away.

The personal foul put the Giants at 3rd and 25 for the next snap.

❺❾

It was what would likely be the last play of the game if the Giants didn't score and send it to overtime. They were on the Panthers 1-yard line with 4th and 1. It was going to be a run play.

Harrison read the offense easily. And timed the snap perfectly. As the ball was being snapped back to Eli Manning who was just behind his center, Harrison jumped the line and grabbed his shoulders.

He tumbled over a lineman and brought Eli down behind the line of scrimmage. That was game. The Panthers moved on, beating the Giants 10-3.