47

Carrie only got lost once looking for the trainers room. When she finally found it, the trainers already had him sitting on one of the benches. Her heart broke when she saw him, leaned against the wall, looking totally spaced out. At that moment, she knew it had to be a concussion.

"Harrison?"

After a slight delay, he looked in her direction. He didn't say anything. "Are you okay?" She knew it sounded stupid. He wasn't. But she wanted to let him know that she was going to be here for him.

The trainers came over with a small tablet. "Harrison, we're going to need you to complete this impact test."

"Why?" He whispered.

"It's going to help us determine the severity of your probable concussion."

He slowly began the program. As he was doing that, Carrie asked, "did you guys do a concussion test on him already?"

The head trainer Ryan nodded. "He didn't fail it that badly. That's why I want him to try the impact test."

He failed it in 5 minutes. "Harrison, how do you feel?"

Harrison tilted his head to the side and said, "like I'm sick."

"As in nauseous?"

"Yeah."

"Anything else?"

He took a few moments to think. "My head hurts. And I feel noise in my ears."

"Like ringing?"

"Yeah."

Ryan checked those things off on his checklist. Appearing dazed, delayed response, painful headache, and ringing in the ears.

Ryan left Carrie with Harrison for a few moments as he went to fetch the tablet from his impact test. She placed a hand on his padded thigh. "It's going to be okay. We're going to get it taken care of."

"I hope," he answered quietly.

"You want me to help you take your jersey off?"

Harrison nodded. "Please."

Carrie reached around him and untucked the white jersey from his pants. Having him raise his arms on his own, she carefully pulled the tight jersey over his head. Then she went to work on unbuckling his shoulders pads that easily came over his head. That left him in his undershirt and pants. Carrie then took his jersey and pads and set them beside his helmet on the trainers desk.

Ryan came back. "Harrison, you have a mild to severe concussion. Your first one was at the end of last season, correct?"

"Yes," Carrie answered for him. "Week 14. He was kept out for the rest of the season."

Even though Carrie wasn't there at the time, it was a rough end of the season for the Panthers. Luke suffered a severe concussion and ended up missing the final six games. And only three games later, Harrison got one of his own. That hurt the Panthers so bad since they were down their two starting linebackers to end the season.

She was also interested to see how much time he would miss. When Luke got his concussion last season, the coaches and trainers kept him out the final six games. Three of those were for precautionary reasons. They would definitely be extra careful with Harrison. He was a must have in the postseason.

Ryan continued. "We're going to get you some medicine to help with those headaches. But you're going to need a lot of rest."

That meant no playing football, watching football, studying football, or working out. Harrison nodded slowly.

❺❾

They were still in the trainers office following the game. Luke and a few teammates came in and wished him a speedy recovery. Carrie sat beside him with their fingers laced together.

"Harrison?"

The two of them turned to see an older man and woman standing in the doorway of Ryan's office. "Mom and dad?"

They came over to stand beside him. "How are you doing kid?" His dad asked and Harrison just shrugged.

"Harrison, you're going to be okay."

Then they noticed Carrie for the first time. "You must be Carrie?"

She nodded and shook both their hands. "It's nice to finally meet you Carrie. I'm his mom Dorothy and this is his dad Chris."

"Nice to meet you. Although I'd prefer to meet you under different circumstances."

"I agree."

❺❾

His parents were with them for an hour before Harrison decided he wanted to fly home tonight. Luke, Greg, and Cam were a huge help to them as well, as they agreed to pack all their things and bring them home tomorrow.

Carrie received plenty of medication for Harrison as one of the staff members packed up his locker for them to take home tonight.

Then she and Harrison said goodbye to his parents. Carrie gave them both hugs. They were so nice. "Take care of Harrison for us. And please call a few times this week to update us."

"I will."

"Thank you."

Dorothy and Chris said goodbye to their son before leaving him with Carrie and the training staff who helped him get up for the first time in 2 and a half hours.

Carrie thanked the Panthers training staff before leading him through the locker room. She gave his hand a quick squeeze. "We're going home now."

Quickly stopping at his locker, she slung her backpack over both shoulders, and his bag over her right. Carrie took his hand and together they walked out of the stadium and to the car that would take them to the airport to catch their private jet home.