CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

Athena sat and watched as thousands of files were taken from her home

Athena sat and watched as thousands of files were taken from her home. Unknown to her and the rest of her family, her father transported heroin all around the country, disguising and hiding it within the barrels of the Blossoms Maple Syrup. One of which, helped her father intentionally lose his footing causing his neck to snap from the rope around his neck. The Blossoms empire had crumbled, now it was time to deal with the aftermath.

"They're acting like the last week and the last few months didn't even happen. Polly's back home, my dad's back home, my mom's back at The Register. They all just keep smiling and talking about the Jubilee." Betty complained as she walked alongside Archie and Athena. "That's good, right?" The three trudged through the snow, their shoes satisfyingly crunching on the ground.

"No. No, it's horrible. It's exactly the way things were before, pretending to be normal and perfect when really, we're like a Greek suburban tragedy. My family imploded, Arch, and we barely survived. If we don't start dealing with our crap, it's all going to happen again." Betty sighed out. "Betty, don't you think this is at least better than the alternative?" Athena questioned with an eyebrow raised. Having a dysfunctional family has got to be better than having a torn apart one.

"Not one bit." They all split and went to their classes as education would wait for no man or woman. After the more than dull class, the group eventually gathered in the cafeteria. "I told her I wouldn't do it. Not unless you're up there with us, Jug." Betty told Jughead about the Jubilee. "I appreciate the righteous indignation, Betty, I do, but Jubilees aren't my thing." Athena could not imagine Jughead on stage at Jubilee, it would seem made up if anyone had told her that. "She also said and I quote 'Athena is a Blossom'. That's all like it's a crime." Athena scoffed as she ate her food.

"Betty, in this town, it might as well be." Archie sadly smiled at her. "Jug, how's your dad? Did you get in to see him?" Archie changed the subject as he held Athena's hand under the cafeteria table as she leaned on his shoulder. "Here's the latest. Mayor McCoy wants my dad to name names in exchange for a lesser sentence." Athena shook her head. FP was too proud to do anything like that. "What? Whose names?" Jughead sighed out. "The Serpent's. Sheriff Keller thinks they're the ones dealing the drugs that Clifford Blossom brought into the town."

"My dad says more and more drugs are hitting the streets." Kevin told the group, dramatically."Kevin, relax, this isn't The Wire." Jughead told him causing Athena to snort and continue to eat her food.

"My dad says they're not the ones dealing," Jughead told the group "And meanwhile, Mayor McCoy hasn't even said the words "Clifford" or "Blossom" in public. It's all about how the Serpents are the problem, the villains. This is outrageous. I'm writing an article about this, and not just for The Blue and Gold, for The Register. This is a town story." Athena and Jughead cringed. "Okay, as long as the article doesn't include my dad." Athena pointed at Jughead and nodded.