CHAPTER TEN

"Thank you for taking the time, Ms

"Thank you for taking the time, Ms. Grundy." Athena smiled at the music teacher as Betty announced what they were doing. "As I said, the Blue and Gold are doing a series of articles spotlighting teachers, and you're our first. Let's begin. Uh, you joined the faculty last year. Where did you move to Riverdale from?" Betty fake smiled at the teacher. "Um, here and there. I was just mostly on the road."

"But you've taught at other schools, I'm assuming?" Betty and Athena chuckle. When they were younger they'd participated in the school play of Alice in Wonderland so they both could act as if they gave a damn. "Yeah. Of course." Grundy joined in chuckling as she had no idea the interview was, in fact, an interrogation. "Um, Can I get their names?" Grundy seemed a bit uncomfortable but supplied the names anyway. "Seaside High, Centreville High."

"What made you leave?" Athena asked, knowing she wasn't going to get the answer that she wanted. "They were temporary placements. Just filling in for maternity, sabbatical, things like that. This is my first permanent position" She smiled. "Getting back to music, you're working with Archie Andrews on an independent study. Have you ever done this sort of thing before?"

"Yes. With Tomoko Yoshido and Jason Blossom." This caused Athena's eyes to widen as she had had no knowledge of her departed brother doing any sort of musical activity with the cougar. "Such a tragedy. He was an inspiration." Athena looked away from her eyes as Grundy spoke. "And pretty cute, right?" Athena whipped her head to Betty as she gave her a 'what the frickity frack' look.

"I don't think of my students that way," Grundy says to the blonde with confidence that causes her to back down. "No, no, no" Betty stammers out as Grundy stands from her seat."And I'm sorry, I really should prepare for my next class." Grundy walks away from the pair causing Athena to whack Betty's thigh. "Excellent job" Betty sighed in defeat as she knew they messed up.

+ + +

Later in the day, Jughead and Athena stood in Mayor McCoy's office talking about the Twilight Drive-In and why it should be spared. "I'm sorry, but the Twilight Drive-In? It's a blight that's become a cesspool and a hangout for criminals and transients, and the deal's done. Andrews Construction is scheduled to demolish the lot on Monday." Mayor McCoy stuttered out. Jughead begged Athena to go with him as he felt the Blossom name would carry more weight than the Jones'. Although the mayor didn't seem to care about either of their names.

"Mayor McCoy, when I was a kid, my family and I would go to the drive-in all the time. We couldn't afford tickets for everyone, so my sister Jellybean and I would hide in the trunk until we parked. We'd sneak out. It's like my home." Athena grabbed the boy's hand as she knew that it was his actual home. "That's a very sweet sentiment, Mr. Jones. But the future of Riverdale is at stake."

+ + +

That night, Veronica, Betty, and Athena crept in the darkness of the night towards Grundy's old powder blue car. "So much for letting this go. Are we really breaking into Grundy's car right now? How do you even know how to do that?" Veronica questioned. Betty was jamming a tool down the window which Athena assumed would break open the car.

"Heh, my dad and I fixed cars together. Thank God, she drives an old--" Betty is cut off as the door pops open. "Betty, I have to ask. Is this because you still have feelings for Archie?" Athena questioned with the phrase 'Love makes us crazy' in mind. "No, Athena. We're doing this because Grundy has Archie under some kind of sexual spell, and he won't listen to reason. We're looking for anything that proves Grundy isn't as clean as she says she is." The three sit in the car searching to find any evidence that could incriminate Grundy. Betty pulls out a lock silver box from behind her seat.

"Bobby pin" she demanded with her hand out. "Okay, Miss Gyver," Veronica says as pulls one out of her hair handing it to the detective of the three. Betty sticks the bobby pin in the lock, moving it until it popped open. "I learned that from the Nancy Drew - detective handbook," Betty says smugly. Athena laughs as Veronica attempts to hurry the blonde along. If they were caught, Athena was not sure what they would do. "Oh. My god."

"'Jennifer Gibson'? Who the hell is Jennifer Gibson?" The driver's license was for 34-year-old, Jennifer Gibson in Minnesota. "Guys, That's not the only thing." Athena pulls out a gun from the box leaving the teens to believe that their best friend was in danger. They exited the car and headed for Archie's house to confront him.

Sitting out front of the Andrew's residence, Archie finally arrives to find his close female friends at his door. "Please don't tell me you're still on this crazy witch hunt." The boy groaned out as he saw them. "It's not a witch hunt, and it's not crazy. We were just in Grundy's car--" It was a bit crazy, Athena thought to herself. "What?" Archie half shouts and half-whispers. "You were in her car?"

"Yeah, and thank God we were," Veronica tells the boy. "We found a gun?" Athena says causing Archie to yell again. "What?" His face was of pure shock. "And an ID with the name Jennifer Gibson. This is proof Ms. Grundy is not who she says she is." Athena prayed that Archie was slowly understanding that he shouldn't be dating her. "Then who is she?" Veronica scoffed "Obviously some sketch-queen named Jennifer Gibson."

"Archie, what if she had something to do with Jason's murder? She taught him, she made you lie about him, we know she was at the river, she has a gun." As the evidence against Grundy piled up, it became evident that she was a serious suspect. "So, does Dilton Doiley, but you never thought he killed Jason." Athena rolled her eyes. "That's because it's Dilton Doiley, he's an idiot and he has an alibi." Athena pointed out. "Open your eyes, Archie. Jason was her student last year. Everything about her is a huge, boldfaced question mark."

"Okay, whatever her name is, she's not a killer." Archie defended his love."You didn't ask her, did you? About her name? And why there's no record of her before last year?" Athena asked Archie. He sighed at that was all she needed. "Why not?" Betty persists causing the boy to sigh again and walk inside his house, leaving the three outside in the cold.

+ + +

During the last film to ever be shown at the drive-in, Jughead and Athena sat in the movie projection room as Athena helped Jughead pack his things whilst watching the movie. "Where are you going to go?" Athena asked the solemn boy. "I don't know. I'll figure it out." Athena had offered for him to stay with her but he would never set foot in the Blossom mansion willingly.

The two sat down and watched the rest of the film. This was one terrible moment for the both as they remembered the memories of previous films that they'd watched with their family and friends. The sun rose as the film stopped. The two walked out with spray cans in hand and spray paint their names onto the side of the booth, bringing a smile to their faces. "They'll tear that booth down, too. Raze the whole place. Send it to the junkyard. And us with it." FP said to his son and his best friend.

"Yeah. Maybe they'll save it. All the pieces. Store it in the town hall attic, and rebuild it in a hundred years. Wonder who the hell we were." Jughead chuckled as he wiped his sleeve underneath his nose. "Hmm. So where are you going to live now?" FP asked. "I'll figure it out, Dad. I always do." The pair walk away from Jughead's father, making their way to wherever the road took them to find Jughead a new home.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who's read, voted and comment on this story.

Thanks, Queenie.

(EDITED)