CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"I don't want Polly to run away

"I don't want Polly to run away. But if she can't live at home, then I don't know, I can rent her an apartment." Betty had told the two girls about how she had found Polly in her attic and how her parents were going to force Polly to give the baby up for adoption. "Betty, I would offer for her to come to stay with me, but I would never want her in that house with my family."

"Let me talk to my mom." Veronica offers with a shrug. "Thanks, Athena. And No, you have your own stuff you're dealing with right now, V." Betty smiles at her friends as their offers were heartfelt and genuine but neither seemed like an option. "Betty, Polly needs doctors, she needs prenatal vitamins--" Veronica points out before being interrupted by Athena's sister.

"She needs her family." The redhead drags her sister and Betty away from Veronica and to an empty class. They sat in an empty classroom as Cheryl told them that she had something to offer. "What do you want, Cheryl?" Athena sighs, wondering what her sister was going to pull this time around. "What we all want. For the baby to be safe. How can I help?" Athena had gotten pretty good at detecting when her siblings and parents had ulterior motives but she could not detect if her sister was speaking a load of crap.

"You can't, I don't trust you, Cheryl." Betty chuckles at the thought. "You trust Athena, am I right? So, don't trust me, watch me like a hawk. Tell me the bare minimum but at the very least, let me and Athena help." Athena shrugged as her sister was displaying a very appealing case. "You think Polly's crazy," Betty said causing Cheryl to nod. "I do, I think she's crazier than a serial killer on bath-salts, but so what? She's carrying Jason's baby. That trumps everything. Do you know where she is?" Athena gave Betty a not so subtle 'don't tell her' look.

"If I did, I wouldn't tell you." Betty lied, horribly. Athena should have known. Betty had been the worst liar since they met. "Wow, you are literally the worst liar I've ever encountered. Spare me the details, Betty. Just tell me how I can be of assistance to my darling nephew or niece." Cheryl smiled her famous smile as she looked between the two girls. "Polly needs money," Athena told her whilst Betty attempted to elaborate a tiny bit more. "For a safe place to live. And for medical stuff."

"Cash? Is that all? I can talk to my mom and dad." Athena's eyes popped out of her head. Her parents absolutely resent Polly and adore the baby. "What? No, Cheryl." Betty clearly agreed "Jason's baby is a game-changer. We're all on the same team now." Betty glanced at Athena for reassurance as Athena knew the blossom family and Cheryl, better than anyone. Athena slowly nodded causing Cheryl to clap her hands with joy.

+ + +

The night had approached and it was time for Veronica's 'get back at my mother' night out. Athena wore short, slinky and backless gold sequin dress that hugged her every curve. The three girls and two boys partied hard on the dance floor with booze already in all their systems. Athena giggled at the way Reggie danced and she realized that this was the most fun she had had since Jason's death and maybe ever. It wasn't even remotely sexual, it was just a fun night out with some light-hearted friends.