CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Athena strolled down the stairs with her sister by her side

Athena strolled down the stairs with her sister by her side. Athena was leaving for school, simply a shell with a fake outer coat to hide the cracks. Cheryl had no such luck with her weaknesses shining through. "Mommy, I was going to ask. Can I stay at home today?" Cheryl asked, softly. "Absolutely not." Penelope spat out. "It's so hard, Mommy, pretending everything's--"

"I don't care." Penelope stormed out causing Cheryl to run up the stairs back to her room. Athena sighed before walking out to her mother's car where she was sitting with no emotion. Athena was dropped off at the school with not a word being spoken between her and her mother. She walked to the student lounge where Betty stood and Veronica and Archie sat. Athena strolled over and took a seat of the arm of the couch next to Archie where he promptly wrapped an arm around her waist. "The craziest thing is, I have a secret brother out there in the world."

"It's positively Dickensian. I love a long-lost brother." Athena chuckled before feeling a buzz from her phone and peering down at it. "How old would he be?" She asked, still looking down at her phone which had buzzed from a message. "Mid-twenties." Betty smiled with a sense of hope in her arms.

"Oh, my God. A blond Adonis, no doubt." Betty's phone rang as Athena's eyebrows raised. Her sister had sent her a loving message about how she was a great person and etcetera which for the middle Blossom was almost unheard of. "Guys, I got to go. I'll see you later." Athena walked out of the room, hearing little protests from Archie and Veronica as she walked towards her house in the snow. She repeatedly tried to call her sister but no answer. After walking for ten to fifteen minutes, she arrived at the Blossom home to find it empty.

"Shiitake Mushrooms." She cursed. Where could her sister go? And that's when she got it. The dreaded text message that read 'I love you so much but I'm going to be with our brother. It's where I belong.' Her breath caught in her throat as she raced towards Sweetwater river. Tears flowed from her eyes as she reached the edge to see her sister bash the top of the ice.

"Cheryl, stop." Not caring if the ice would break or not, she rushed to her sister to try and prevent her from doing anything. The ice was severely cracked and could break any second when she arrived next to her sister around the redhead dressed in thin white clothing. As she took a step towards her sister, she felt and heard the ice breaking under her weight.

"Cheryl, please stop" Athena screamed at her sister. She heard screaming from behind and turned her head to see her friends. "Athena" Archie shouted and as he tried stepping on the ice, he was pulled back as the cracking ice under their feet was heard. Cheryl stood up, looking at her sister with such anguish in her eyes.

"It's okay, Cheryl. Just come with me" She held her hand out and as Cheryl went to grab it, the ice broke. Athena and Cheryl plunge into the ice-cold water before being swept back by the current. Under the slightly frosty ice, Athena saw as her, what you could assume, boyfriend. Her sweet Archie, tried desperately to break the ice. Her sister swam next to her and as Athena looked up to see his panicked face, she closed her eyes feeling numbed by the water.