CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Athena was dreading the tree tapping ceremony for two reasons: One

Athena was dreading the tree tapping ceremony for two reasons: One. Her whole family had come to Riverdale and most of them were just as bad as her parents and two: Cheryl had informed her that she'd be inviting Archie as her escort which would make things super awkward. She currently sat in English class as Ethel stood at the front reading a poem.

Athena was distracted by everything and couldn't pay attention to anything around her. As the bell rang, she grabbed her books and rushed out of the room. She made the slow walk to her locker before she felt someone grab her arm. "Athena, honey. Follow me." Her mother spoke as she walked away, expecting her daughter to follow and she did. "Mom, what's going on?" Athena was beyond confused. The last time, her mother came to the school, her and Cheryl were being interrogated. "You're going to help me get Archibald Andrews to come to the tree tapping ceremony."

Athena's eyes went wide at her mother's words."Why?" Her mother shook her head as they continued to walk. "Don't ask stupid questions." Athena continued to follow her mother until they found Archie hunched over a drinking fountain. "Archibald. I was going to get Principal Weatherbee to summon you." Her mother put on a smile as Archie looked up at the two women with beads of sweat building on his forehead.

"Hey, Mrs. Blossom. Athena." The two nodded to each other before turning back to Athena's mother. "Have a moment to chat? About Cheryl. I believe she invited you to our tree-tapping ceremony?" Athena's eyes widened, not knowing anything about it. "Yeah. She did, and like I told her, I don't feel comfortable going." Athena felt uncomfortable as Archie's gaze flickered over to her.

"Athena tells me you have a keen interest in music." So that's why Athena was here to cox Archie into a bribe. "Is that true? Did she tell you her Great-Uncle Harrison sits on the board of the Brandenburg Music Academy? They have an excellent summer program, I hear." Her mother bragged causing Athena to want to roll her eyes. "It's amazing, crazy hard to get into." Archie smiled, knowing he could get in a good position if he played his cards right. "Surely not for a talent like you. And especially not if I put in a word on your behalf."

"Mrs. Blossom--" Archie started before being cut off by Penelope. "At Jason's memorial, you brought me his football jersey. That was an act of kindness on a day of despair. You're good and decent, Archibald, unlike most people in this town." Athena's mother sneered. "Mrs. Blossom, I don't know what to say."

"Say you'll reconsider escorting my daughter or even Athena to the tapping." Athena whipped her head around to glare at her mother. Wow, she really wanted Archie at this ceremony but why? "It's just an afternoon. And it would mean the world to my family." Athena wanted to laugh. The family wouldn't give a shit. They'd probably only accept him because of his red locks. "I mean, yeah. I guess I could talk to Valerie. I'll go with Cheryl."

"I swear, Archibald when the light hits you just right. I'll tell Cheryl the good news. And I'll call Great-Uncle Harrison." Penelope walks away, leaving the pair to themselves. "Athena--" Archie started causing Athena to interrupt him with her rambling. "Archie, I'm really sorry. I'm sorry I ruined our friendship and I'm sorry that I have been avoiding you. It's just that I was having a Betty moment and I'm not going to say the moments over but can we go back to normal?"