CHAPTER TWENTY

Athena for the past few days had been over the moon

Athena for the past few days had been over the moon. She had kissed her crush, Archie Andrews. Unfortunate for Athena, Val had broken up with Archie but as this was supposed to be a good thing, Archie had realized that he really liked Val and Athena was put on the back burner. A fact she had only realized during Jughead's birthday party. "Hey, guys." Athena ran next to Archie and Betty as they walked the halls.

"Athena, did you know it is Jughead's birthday tomorrow?" Betty asked with a laugh. "Yeah, he absolutely despises it so he's only really mentioned it to Archie and I." Archie smiles at her and Athena looks at Betty while blushing. "Every year, he goes to a double feature at the Bijou. It's like this tradition. Last few years, Athena and I been his movie-buddies. But now that he has a girlfriend--"

"Well, of course, I'll take him. But you both should still come with us." Betty offered. "No. I don't want to be a third wheel." Athena held up her arms in mock surrender and shook her head. "Come on. It'll be like old times." Betty begged "The Three Musketeers." Archie laughed out "Archie, there were four Musketeers," Betty said to the two.

"I'll see you later, Betty." Athena and Archie waved to the blonde as she walked away to go to class. "So, Athena. Are we going to talk about that night?" Athena smiled at the ground as she remembers the moment that they had had together. "Well, you and Val are still together and I haven't told Betty so--"

"Val broke up with me." Even though Athena did indeed want Archie and to celebrate, she heard the sadness and despair in his voice and decided to contain herself. "I'm so sorry, Arch. I have to get to class, so I'll see you later." She gave him a smile and walked away to attend her mildly interesting psychology class. After class, she was approached by Betty who begged the redhead to help her convince Jughead's dad to attend a gathering for Jughead.

"Athena, please. Pretty please." Betty begged in a high-pitched tone before Athena sighed and nodded. "Only if you buy my next three milkshakes at Pop's." Betty jumped up and hugged her causing her to smile at how she'd made her friend happy and more importantly- got three free milkshakes.

+ + +

Athena and Betty waited outside FP's trailer as the man pulled up beside, sighing as he saw the two girls. "Mr. Jones, I didn't mean to ambush you. I know you don't do birthdays, but Athena and I are having a few of Jughead's friends over at Archie's house. And I bet it would mean so much to Jughead if you came." FP looked quite shocked to see the two teenagers waiting for him before chuckling.

"Man, you don't quit, do you? Nice to see you, Athena. It's been a while." FP smiled at the girl who used to play with Jughead during his childhood. "You too, FP. And she never ever quits." Athena turned to Betty as she chuckled. "I really want to do something special for him. And you being there, that would be special." FP let out a little chuckle before agreeing reluctantly. The girls left and returned to school before their next class.

+ + +

The day of Jughead's birthday, Athena arrived at the Andrew's household to help Archie decorate for Jughead's birthday party. She smiled and rang the doorbell with butterflies bubbling up in her stomach. Archie opened the front door, smirking as Athena walked in. "So, what are we setting up first?" Athena walked into the living room to see Archie had only put up a happy birthday sign and nothing else.

"Whatever you want?" Archie said, wrapping his arms around her waist and twisting her around so that they were face to face. "Archie, I haven't told Betty yet." She warned but nonetheless Archie and her met lips and in their close proximity, Athena noticed all the features she'd never before. The way he smelt of cinnamon and vanilla and that when he kissed her, he squeezed her waist tighter. His lips felt warm and rugged but in a good way and his skin felt like fire under her fingers.

They launched apart as the doorbell rings, signaling that one of the people that had agreed to help set up was here. "To be continued." Archie pointed at her before going to fetch whoever rang the bell. Athena stood and started filling balloons before Archie returns with Kevin and Joaquin. "Athena, your lips look a bit swollen. What happened?" Kevin asks with mock concern.

"I had a slight allergic reaction to some lipstick, it's calming down." Athena nodded and fakely smiled at Kevin. He shook his head, not believing a second of Athena's lie and helping with the decorations as the hours ticked past, the very few guests arrived with only a few minutes to spare until the birthday boy and his girl came. "Guys, they're really coming this time. Everybody hide." Athena just shrugged and stood behind a wall before taking a chug of alcohol.

"Ugh, I'm so over this." Athena heard Veronica say as she went and got some booze from Archie's dad's stash. "Surprise!" They all shouted and laughed. Jughead had a small, unconvincing smile on his face but everyone smiled. "This is why we left the double feature." Jughead let out a chuckle before Archie went and hugged his best friend. Athena ran up and hugged him after Archie had let go.

"Happy Birthday, Juggie." They split and he moves on to Veronica who says something in Spanish no one in the room knew but they could only assume it was Happy Birthday. "Um, has anyone seen Betty?" Just as he asked the question, the lights go out and Betty comes out hauntingly singing. "Happy birthday to you Happy birthday to you Happy birthday dear Jughead Happy birthday to you" She sang, beautifully.

"That was haunting, Betty." Betty gives him the cake and kisses him on the cheek before leaning on his shoulder. "Blow out the candles and make a wish." Betty smiles and although Athena didn't know what he'd wished for, she was certain of one thing: he was not enjoying his birthday. They clapped as he blew out his candles and Athena made small talk with Ethel and Kevin before going with Betty and Jug to get some ice cream to go along with the cake.

As they walked into the kitchen, Ronnie and Archie were hugging each other as Ronnie cried. "Oh, sorry." Jughead whispered, "Just coming to get ice cream, so-- Is everything okay?" Betty asks as the concerned friend she is. "Yeah, no, I'm just not in a party mood like I usually am." Ronnie breathed out. "That makes two of us." Jughead sighed

"Whoa. Wait. You're not actually upset that I threw you a party, are you?" And at that moment, Athena knew that shit was going to go down. "It is nice, Betty. I appreciate it. It's just I would be happier if it was just the five of us in a booth at Pop's." The couple slowly descended into an argument as the other three stood around awkwardly. "Yeah. But we always do that. I wanted to do something special."

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Jughead quoted "Why is everything so doom and gloom with you, Jug? Why can't it just be normal for once?" Athena, Archie, and Veronica watched awkwardly as the couple fighter in front of them. "I'm not normal, I'm not wired to be normal." He was interrupted by the doorbell ringing causing everyone to look at the door in confusion. "How many more people did you invite to this thing?"

"No one. Inner-circle only." As they all went to open the door to see who it was. Athena was greeted by her sister opening the door with about 30 to 40 people behind her. "Did you really think you could have a party without inviting moi?" Cheryl smirks at her sister before turning to Chuck. "Or me?"

"Archie, where do you want the kegs?" Moose asks. Everyone invited looks at Archie with pleading in their eyes. "Screw it! One in the kitchen, one in the backyard." All the teenagers piled in and shouted as Jughead ran away, leaving Athena to try and deal with everything else.

(EDITED)