CHAPTER FIVE

Athena and Jughead sat on the steps of the Andrews home

Athena and Jughead sat on the steps of the Andrews home. They had both decided that confronting Archie was the best way to go about the Grundy situation. Archie walked up to the house, surprised to see his two best friends with one being former. "Jug? Athena? What's up?" Athena glanced at Jughead before they both stood up, walking towards the boy. "Archie, we saw you. In the music room. With Ms. Grundy." Jughead started the intervention causing Archie's eyes to go wide and for him to surge forward. "Keep your voice down. My dad's inside."

"We're just trying to help, Archie" His features soften as he looks at the redheaded girl but hardens once he looks back at Jughead."I'm trying to be your friend here, even though we're not anymore. How long? You and Grundy?" The thought of Archie being in an illegal relationship sent shivers up Athena's spine. He'd rather be with a teacher than Betty. "Since the summer. I like her" Archie defended. "So, I'm guessing she's the reason you've been acting weird since summer?" Athena asked with an incredulous tone. "One of them."

"One of them?" Athena scoffed as Jughead shook his head. "God Archie, what else?" Archie stepped forward before lowering his voice. "We were at Sweetwater river on July 4th. We heard a gunshot. The gunshot." As he said that, Athena's hands began to shake as she stumbled back and collapsed on the stairs behind her, the boys not paying much attention. "Dude, you have to tell somebody--" Jughead started before being interrupted by Archie. "I can't. Neither can you. If People find out about Grundy--"

"A kid is dead, Archie. Athena's brother is dead and you're worried about some- some cougar." Jughead was almost shouting at this point as he looked at Athena whose eyes were glossy. "Don't call her that, okay? She's not like that. She cares about me." Athena felt tears fall on her cheeks. Her own best friend wouldn't help with a murder investigation of her brother to save his illegal girlfriend. "Stab in the dark. I'm guessing she cares more about herself. She's the one telling you not to say anything, right? Look, Athena and I saw you guys. She's messing with you, man. And she's messing with your mind."

"What the hell do you know about it, Jughead? Or about me, even?"Jughead shook his head. "Nothing. But I used to know this guy once, Archie Andrews. He wasn't perfect but he always tried to do the right thing, at least." Jughead walked over to Athena, lifting her up and holding onto her arm as they walked away. "Jug. If you tell anyone about this." Athena had been quiet, too shocked to even express herself but this sent her over. "Archie, you have vital information regarding my brother's murder. So, I want to know what are you going to do, huh?" Fred Andrews opens the front door as Athena and Jug were walking away.

"Hey Athena, hey Jug. You coming in? We got takeout from Pop's." Fred smiled at his son's friends, completely unaware of what just happened. "Mr. Andrews, as much as I would love that, I better be getting home." Jughead and Athena walk away from the Andrews house. Athena begins to sob once again as Jughead guides her to the twilight drive-in where he resided and the only place that Athena felt safe at all. "Athena, he just isn't thinking straight. His hormones are going straight to his head." Athena chuckled as Jughead comforted her after she had cried on his shoulder for the past hour.