CHAPTER EIGHT

Walking the Riverdale High halls at night was a strange bonding activity for the five-people involved but Athena was digging it so far

Walking the Riverdale High halls at night was a strange bonding activity for the five-people involved but Athena was digging it so far. "Football players behaving badly, what else is new? Steubenville, Glen Ridge. But, the coach's son being the ringleader. I mean, just how depraved is this town?" Athena chuckled out but before she could reply, Cheryl's heels clicked along the floor. "Color me impressed." Cheryl walked out from behind them causing each one of them to gasp. "What would your holy roller mother say about this, Betty?"

"What are you doing here, Cheryl?" Betty sighed, clearly over Cheryl. "And where did you get those thigh thigh-high boots? They're amazing." Athena turned to Kevin with a smile on her face "Oh, we got them from this French Designer. Aren't they gorgeous?" Athena told Kevin as they admired the amazingness of her sister's boots. "Trev told Valerie, who told Josie, who told Ginger, who told Tina, who told me. And I thought I would help out." Athena scoffed. It was rare for her sister to ever want to help ever.

"Help? Or derail our investigation?" Betty questioned. "Get over yourself, Betty," Cheryl said, shining the flashlight in their faces causing them all to go partially blind for half a second. "Hey, guys. Get in here." Ethel called from the locker around a corner. The group headed towards her to find her holding the despicable book in her hands. "Trev was right. They didn't even bother hiding it." They flipped through the book, looking at the disgusting point system. "New girl? Is that what I'm reduced to? Nine points?" Veronica shook her head, angered by the boys of Riverdale High. "Better than big girl. Seven point five."

"I got worst triplet. 8 points. What pigs." Athena commented, shaking her head. "Polly's in this book," Betty told the group as she moved away. Everyone knew that Polly was a sensitive subject to Betty and she looked on the verge of a meltdown. "Next to Jason's name" Cheryl finished before turning to the hurt Betty. "I'm so sorry, Betty" Veronica offered her sympathies as she tried to process the information the book gave her. "This isn't--. Jason would never--"

"It's right there, Cheryl. God, your brother hurt my sister. This is what guys like Jason and Chuck think about women. We're objects for them to abuse. And when they're done with us, they shame us into silence. They have zero remorse for the lives they destroy." Betty cried out. Athena walked over to her and put an arm over her shoulder to comfort the distraught girl. "Maybe, I don't know Jason." Cheryl then walked away, shocked about their brother's insensitivity. "I'll take a picture. We'll show it to Weatherbee. It'll be the perfect cover for your expose, Betty."

"Yeah, but No. These girls deserve justice, don't you think, Cheryl? You want vengeance? You want to go full dark, no stars, Veronica? I'm with you. And I have a plan." Athena thought that Betty and Veronica didn't need Athena with Betty's plan instead leaving Betty to write the expose by herself as she would have raw, unfiltered emotion that would make the piece pop.

+ + +

Athena arrived at the taste of Riverdale deciding to write a basic article about a mundane event. She walked up to the balcony, attempting to take some decent pictures of the event when Jughead sits down next to her while looking at the scuffle between Alice Cooper and her parents. They watched her mom slap Mrs. Cooper and part of her felt that she deserved it after releasing articles blaming her, Cheryl and her parents for Jason's death. "Hey, uh, Riverdale. We are Josie and the Pussycats. Are you ready to rock?"

"Jug, why are you here?" Athena asked as this was not usually his scene. "I'm here to interrogate an evil adventure scout." Athena nodded pretending to act like it was a normal thing to say. Archie crawls up to them and joins them on the balcony. "Are you sure it was worth sneaking out for some locally-sourced Munster?" Jughead asks the Redhead. "I helped write that song, man." Athena's eyebrows raised as she listened to the beautifully composed song.

"Not bad." Athena nods her head to the beat, finding it very catchy. "I'd love to stay, but I got to shake down an evil Adventure Scout. See you." Jughead walked away from the pair as they listened intently to the song. Athena looks down at the crowd to see Fred Andrews and Grundy having a conversation. "Uhh, Archie. Your dad is having a pretty lengthy conversation with your girlfriend." Athena tells the boy causing him to look down with his eyes almost popping out of his head. The song ends and the two clap despite Archie eyeing his Father and Lover.

"Well, I got to go because if my dad catches me out of the house, he'll kill me," Archie says turning to walk away from Athena but she grabs his arm, giving her puppy dog eyes. "Walk me home?" The two manage to get out of the building unseen and start the short 10-minute walk to Thornhill. "So, how are you holding up?" Archie asks, knowing that the night of the back to school dance, she cried the hardest she has ever cried.

"I'm coping. It's difficult because of all the lies and secrets kept but I've shed my tears and now I want it to be over and done with. I want it in the past." The silence that followed was comfortable and the night air was cold against Athena's exposed arms. "Archie, I want you to be honest with me. Why Grundy? Why not Betty or at least a girl your own age?" Archie let out a sigh before giving Athena the answer that she'd been dying to hear.

"To be honest, I don't know. She makes me feel special and she likes me and I like her. So, I guess that's just it." Athena nodded as they arrived outside the gates of the terrifying mansion. "Archie. Just promise me, you'll be safe? Please." He nodded before giving her a hug. "I promise, I'll be a ginger ninja like when we were kids."Athena laughed, leaving the boy to his own devices as she walked inside her dark, quiet house.

+ + +

"Athena, your article about the taste of Riverdale was so genuine and homely. That I felt true Riverdale spirit while reading it." Betty complimented Athena as the latest issue of The Blue and Gold was released. "With all due respect, Betty. no one is going to glance at my article. They will all be reading about the book of shame." Athena smiled at her while handing out the bundle of articles. As Veronica approached them, Athena wanted to know how things went with the evil scout and decided to find Jughead, leaving the girls to talk between them.

Jughead, Betty and Athena met in the blue and gold offices, waiting to hear Dilton Doiley's confession. But instead, they were given a piece of information that would tear Archie's secret relationship to pieces. "If you publish a story saying I fired that gun, my life will be ruined. I'll be banished from the Adventure Scouts, and charged with a misdemeanor. So, what if I have a better story? If I tell you what I know, promise me the gunshot stays between us."

"You have our word. As journalists." Betty walked over and sat in between Jughead and Athena who were both equipped with pen and paper. "I saw something at Sweetwater River. Something nobody else saw. Ms. Grundy's car. By the river's edge. She was there." Betty looked confused as Jughead and Athena glanced at each other as they both understood that they could not hide the affair between Archie and his teacher any longer.

(EDITED)