CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"So, Athena, Jughead

"So, Athena, Jughead. I suppose we have you to thank for Betty's ongoing obsession with this Jason Blossom ghoulishness?" Athena had been invited to a very awkward breakfast at Betty's house and not unlike her own family, Alice Cooper despised her. "Actually, Mom, I was the one who asked Jughead and Athena to help me write it for the Blue and Gold." Betty smiles as she attempted to kill kindness with kindness.

"Relax, Betty. I'm just making conversation." Jughead and Athena avoided conversation as they drank orange juice. "Do you guys have a bathroom I could use?" Jughead asked causing Betty to stand up. "Sure, I'll show you." Alice shook her head, standing up. "No, no. I'll show him. Follow me Jughead." Athena smiled at Jughead and gave him thumbs up as he looked at the women sitting at the table, in fear. Athena and Betty race towards Alice's bag, taking out her recent transactions and photographing them before the pair returned.

+ + +

Later, Athena sat next to Veronica watching Archie audition for the variety show. As Archie shook like a leaf upon the stage, the auditorium sat in silence. Well except for Reggie, of course. "Try harder! Maybe try not sucking so much." Reggie laughed along with his friends from the football team. "Hey Reggie, do you want to tell us the detailed story of how you came to be captain because I'd love to hear it?" Athena smiled as Reggie quieted down. "Didn't think so."

"Oh, my god. What's happening." Archie stood there looking like he was about to faint as his hands shook and his breathing was uneven. "He's choking," Josie commented from behind them. "Stage fright." Athena nodded before turning back to the Redhead. "Archie? Clock's ticking." Athena glared at Kevin. Even though he was doing his job, he certainly wasn't helping.

"Excuse me. Sorry, I got to go." Archie slurred out before running off the stage. Students laughed and clapped sarcastically before being silenced by the blossom girl. "Don't you dare laugh at a poor boy putting himself out there." Athena snapped before sitting back down, shaking her head.

+ + +

Betty and Jughead sat at a table with Archie and Valerie explaining to Athena what they'd found. That Polly was being held at a home for troubled youths. "It's been months. There's got to be a reason my mom and dad don't want me to see Polly. But I don't care anymore." Betty was beginning to stray further and further away from being a good girl. "What are you guys talking about? Anything I can help with?" Archie asked, eager to help. He had been distant from the group since Grundy and had no idea about Polly.

"What we're attempting is a stealth operation, Archie. If we go in there with the entire Scooby Gang, forget it, we're compromised." Athena sighed. She had opted out for the sake of just that and the fact that Betty thought it might trigger Polly to see her deceased fiancé's sister so quickly after the tragedy. "Well, don't you have to practice for the Variety Show anyways?"