CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Athena waited in the living room for her sister and Polly to finish getting ready

Athena waited in the living room for her sister and Polly to finish getting ready. She wore a blue dress that was identical to her sisters as they went for a matching theme except their hair was different with Cheryl choosing to have a long curly ponytail and Athena leaving her hair out. Cheryl walked down with their parents with a smile on each of their faces. "Where's Polly?" She asked as she stood up to meet them halfway.

"Polly wasn't feeling well, dear. She insisted we go out without her." Her mother guided the two girls to the car and drove them to the school which was decorated with bright lights and balloons. The sisters walked in, turning heads as they do and making their way to the punch which had no doubt been spiked but Reggie and the rest of the chaotic football team. "Cheryl? Athena? Hey. Where's Polly?

"She's fine. She felt a little bit queasy and canceled at the last minute, leaving me high and dry, which is why I'm never doing anything nice for anyone ever again. Excuse me." Cheryl stomped away from the two, leaving them to compliment each other. "Betty, you look stunning." Athena hugged the blonde, making sure not to ruin her hair. "You too, Athena. Where's Archie?" They pulled apart and Athena looked around in an attempt to spot the redhead. She was his date after all.

"He said he'd be a little bit late and was getting some food with Ronnie beforehand because they had to discuss somethings. Whatever that means." Betty tilted her head in confusion before dragging her to Kev. "Hey, Kev. Have you seen Archie and Veronica? Oh, never mind, I see them." They smile and start to make their way towards them but stop once they see the two whispering to Betty's mom.

"What the hell?" Athena says before walking towards Archie who was looking for her in the crowd of teenagers. "Arch, hi." He gives her a huge smile, pulling her towards him for a hug. They embrace and he kisses her on the top of her head, leaving her to wonder what happened before Homecoming. "Why were you talking to Mrs. Cooper?" The two meet up with Jughead who was standing awkwardly near the food and drink tables.

"We- we were just asking where you and Betty were and just talked about the decorations that she put up." She nodded, not completely satisfied with the answer she was given but shrugged her shoulders and leaned into him. "Hey Athena, Hey Jughead." Ronnie walks up to them before a flustered Betty follows. "Where were you guys?" She asked the two with frustration evident in her voice.

"We stopped-- We stopped at Pop's." Archie stutters out causing Athena to raise an eyebrow. If he was telling the truth, why would he have to be nervous? When they were younger, Archie would stutter in an attempt to conceal the fact that he had indeed stolen her crayons but wasn't willing to admit it. "And what were you just talking to my mom about?" Betty questioned, wondering why they would need to talk to her mother. "Betty--"

"Guys, can we table this? We got to get ready. Come on." Archie and Veronica walk up onto the stage, receiving a huge round of applause. Athena shuffles to dance before seeing her sister walk out with tears in her eyes. She walks out to an empty hallway and decides to leave it alone as when she's upset, Cheryl usually wants to be alone. She continues dancing to Archie and Veronica singing, watching as she sees the gears in Betty's head-turning beside her.After the song, generic slow dance music played as Juggie and Athena tried to find the rest of the Scooby gang as they had disappeared almost instantly after Ronnie and Archie stopped performing.