CHAPTER THREE

"It's game time at Chez Blossom, kiddies

"It's game time at Chez Blossom, kiddies." They had migrated to Athena's home which was now filled with drunk teenagers. The situation only got worse as Betty had told Athena all about her confession to Archie and more importantly how he turned her down. "We're going old school tonight. Seven minutes in heaven. Who wants to trust first in the closet of love first? My vote is A for Archie." At times like these Athena questioned if she loved or hated Cheryl. This was a pure hate situation.

"Anyone care to second it?" "Wait, actually--" Archie began to protest but to no avail. "Yes, Andrews. Yes." A drunk Reggie shouted out causing Athen to glare at him. "All right, gather around, kids. Let's see who's riding the ginger stallion tonight." Part of her wanted it to be Betty and another wanted it to be her, but alas Athena was not chosen and neither was Betty but Veronica was. "Oh, no way." Reggie chuckled.

"It's clearly pointing to the new girl. This should be fun." Athena was convinced that Cheryl was the literal Antichrist. "I'm not doing this." Veronica attempted to be a good friend but Cheryl was ruthless. "That's up to you. But if you don't house rules decree the hostess gets to take your turn." The pair went into the closet with Betty almost in tears. "Betty, I know you were disappointed with not being chosen in more ways than one. But honestly, the new girl will snatch your man within seconds. So, might as well move on." Betty stood up and walked out of the room with Athena hot on her trail. "Betty, stop."

"He doesn't love us, A. I know that deep down, we'll be friends forever but the three musketeers are going to turn into two and we have to accept that." Athena had this realization as soon as the words came out of Betty's mouth. If he did love her than he would've gone with her and Jughead on their July 4th weekend. "Betty, where are you going?"

"Home, Athena. I'm sorry and I'll see you tomorrow." Betty walked away from the girl as she crumpled to the floor in the middle of the walkway. She couldn't stay here. She needed to get out. Athena had a eureka moment and decided to go to her safe place that only the people she truly loved knew about.

+ + +

As Archie ran into Pop's searching for Athena and Betty, instead he found his other friend that he had wronged. "Uh, Can I sit Jughead?" Archie felt awkward in front of his friend as he slid into the both. "If you want," Jughead responded in a passive-aggressive tone. "What are you working on?" Both found the small talk agonizing but they had to find some way to break the thick ice. "My novel. It's about this summer and Jason Blossom."

"Seventeen years old and how will he be remembered? As captain of the water polo team?" Archie threw up his hands as he thought about Jason, not being particularly close to the boy but the fact that he knew him and that he was still a teenager when he died was haunting. "The aquaholics. Considering how he died, probably not." Jughead joked as Archie continued to spiral. "No, what I mean is was he doing everything he was supposed to do? Everything he wanted. I mean, did he even know what that was?" Archie began contemplating his future, wondering that if he didn't do what he loved, would he miss out on doing it forever and end up like Jason? "Coach Clayton was in here talking to Pop Tate. Varsity. Does that make you what, Mr. Popular-Football-God now?"

"No. In fact, I'm kind of terrified that I lost my best friends tonight?" Jughead sighed before giving Archie the truth. "If you're talking about Athena and Betty, whatever happens, just talk to them, man. It would go a long way. Would've gone a long way with me." Archie smiled and nodded before thanking Jughead and racing to Betty's house.Whilst Archie gave Betty the truth that she did not want, Archie was terrified that now that he was fighting with Betty, would his other best friend turn on him?

He had searched all over town for her but as he circled back to her house, he remembered the childhood place they spent all their time at. Climbing up the ladder to the treehouse above, he peered in to see his best friend lying on a thin mattress staring at the roof. She appeared to be shivering but in all actuality, Athena wasn't feeling the cold. She was in despair as to what her next decision would be.

"Athena," Archie whispered. Athena sighed and sat up to look at him and only then did he see the tears in her eyes. She was going to tell him then and there, but after Betty confessed she did not want to stress out the poor boy. He didn't deserve that. Athena knew he needed normal in his life and that she would provide.

"My brother is dead, Arch." Athena's voice crakes as Archie climbed into the house and crawled toward her. His arms went around her and she began to cry on his shoulder, both not particularly caring that his suit would be damp from her tears. "It's going to be okay," Archie whispered into her hair, kissing her forehead and rubbing his hands up and down her arms.

"No, it's not going to be. Ginger, the world is going to shit." Athena cried out as she looked up at Archie who frowned and pulled her closer to him, letting her cry out.

(EDITED)