CHAPTER FOUR

As Athena and her family looked at Jason's water-logged body with a bullet hole in his head, Athena noticed how Cheryl's tears fell

As Athena and her family looked at Jason's water-logged body with a bullet hole in his head, Athena noticed how Cheryl's tears fell. This was the first time Athena had seen her cry since his death. She was starting to wonder if her sister was a sociopath. Nonetheless, Athena had shed enough tears that she was physically unable to cry anymore. Her mother and Father sent the twins off to school for they had to keep up the strong Blossom name.

"Now that romance is off the table, I'll say it. Are we 100 percent sure Archie's straight?" The two girls ignored Kevin's fantasies as they walked through the halls. "Athena, you have a chance now. I know you pushed your feelings down for the sake of mine but it's your turn." Kevin gasped and yanked on Athena's sleeve causing the girl to stumble towards him. "You like him!" Athena smiled and nodded before replying to Betty. "Betty, I could never. It's been a day. I know that you're telling yourself that you're over him, but you are most definitely not and I respect that."

"I am over him!" They walked into the main office to see a bunch of gorgeous yellow roses in a vase on the counter. "Oh, my god, those are gorgeous. Are those for Betty, Mrs. Phillips?" Kevin gushed. "That's why I called her." Mrs. Phillips says in an almost sarcastic tone. "'Dear Betty, please forgive me. XOXO V. 'Who the hell is V?" Kevin asked confused. All Athena could think about was 'V for Vendetta.'

"Veronica" Hearing them simultaneously say the girl's name, you'd think they'd be starting a choir. "The yellows for friendship. I also had magnolia cupcakes flown in from New York. Because as my mom likes to say, there's no wrong the right cupcake can't fix. Also, I booked us for hers and hers mani-pedis at Chez Salon. Blowouts too." The tension in the air was almost suffocating. Kevin and Athena exchanged bitchy looks to each other like the people they are as Betty smiled softly. "I am so, so sorry, Betty. I don't know what happens to me that night. It was such a basic bitch move it was like I was possessed by-"

"Madame Satan?" Kevin commented, "Hades, maybe?" Athena turned to Kevin before shrugging, innocently. "-the old Veronica. And I will never, ever do anything like that to you again. I swear on my mother's pearls. Just- Can you please give me one more chance?" This was it. Athena was sure Betty would say no. "Okay."

"What?" Athena, Veronica, and Kevin said in unison. Betty was too kind and way too forgiving. "Really? Awesome. I'll take it. And you won't regret it. I'll bring these to lunch so we can celebrate. Bye" Veronica walked out of the office as the bell rang leaving Athena and Kevin with their jaws on the floor. "Betty, you are way to forgiving."

"It's the path of least resistance. A week ago, Veronica and I weren't friends. Next week, we'll nod to each other as we pass in the hall but that's it. In two weeks, she won't even remember my name. And in three she'll have latched onto some other girl to destroy." Athena nodded and wiped a fake tear from under her eye as she tossed her arm over Betty's shoulders. "Betty, I don't know if you're stupid or a damn genius."