CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Betty Cooper and Jughead Jones were the Sandy and Danny of the school

Betty Cooper and Jughead Jones were the Sandy and Danny of the school. Good girl and bad boy (or in Jugheads case, a moody teen). Athena half expected them to burst out singing you're the one that I want, every time she saw the duo. Whereas Athena and Archie were Harry and Sally. Friends and occasional acquaintances, they would always remain until one of them admitted their feelings. In Athena's opinion, she'd much rather be Sandy then Sally. To change that, she had told Archie how she felt and had been avoiding a one on one conversation with him since that very occasion.

"Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby," Betty told the group which strangely involved Cheryl much to everyone's confusion. Especially Athena's. "Besides, of course, the child-snatching Blossom monsters. No offense, Athena and Cheryl." Kevin spoke with utter clarity. "None taken." Athena found herself saying that a lot lately. "It's okay, Kev." Athena nodded at him before pretending to not notice Archie staring at her. He wouldn't dare to bring up Athena's feelings with the rest of the group.

"So, your mom and dad want Polly but not the baby, and the Blossoms want the baby and not Polly. That's a true Gordian knot." Jughead spelled out the impossible situation that had become Betty's life. "It's an impossible situation." Betty sighs out in defeat before Veronica brought a glimmer of wisdom. "Betty, come on. An impossible situation is being invited to both the Vanity Fair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar party on the same night. Which happened to me one year, I know. This is merely an annoying situation. But luckily, I've been percolating on an idea, hellishly simple in its conception. What if my mom and I were to host a baby shower?" Athena nodded at the simple but genius idea.

"Count me in," Athena said, confidently. "You want Polly to feel loved and supported, right?" Veronica asked Betty who hesitated. "Yeah, but ideally by her own parents," Betty says in a semi-negative tone whilst twisting her head. "Okay, so, baby steps, girl. Get Polly and your parents in the same room in a public setting where they can't fight, and, voila, let the healing begin."

"Am I expected to come to this thing?" Jughead asked "Of course! You're Betty's boyfriend, so--. Oh, my God, you guys, relax." Ronnie proclaims as she sees the awkward expressions on Betty and Jugheads faces. "It's just a word that starts with the letter 'B'."

"Betty, what do you say?" Before Betty can reply, her mother comes bursting into the room and demands that Veronica and Betty follow her. "Athena--." Archie started before Athena quickly stood up, gesturing to Kevin. "Kev, walk with me." Athena interrupts Archie, dragging Kevin out of the room and into the hallways.

"Umm, what was that?" Athena sighs, figuring she should at least tell the poor boy about her failing love life. "When Jughead got arrested, I was so emotional and if Jughead could get accused of something like that then maybe Arch or I could, so I--" Kevin gasped out. "Athena, you didn't." Athena sighed and shook her head. "I pulled a Betty and confessed my romantic feelings for him, of course, I didn't. Except I did and I know he has a girlfriend so my plan is to avoid the 'I like you like a friend' conversation for as long as possible." Kev's jaw dropped and he shook his head as he attempted to process the information given to him.