CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

"Someone planted the gun Jason's murder weapon, in a closet in FP's trailer

"Someone planted the gun Jason's murder weapon, in a closet in FP's trailer. It wasn't there when we searched for it. He's being framed, Betty." Archie made his case to the blonde and redhead as they stared back at him, unconvinced. "Well, maybe you didn't see it," Betty argued causing Veronica to shake her head. "We're not talking about the Vogue closet here, B."

"Well, maybe you looked in the wrong one." Athena pointed out with a chuckle and a shake of her head. "It's a trailer with literally one closet. There was no lockbox. No gun. Whatever Sheriff Keller is saying he found, it wasn't there." Thoughts raced through Athena's head as she began to connect the dots. "Look, we need to tell Jughead his dad's innocent." Athena nodded as all the pieces of the puzzle clicked together within her mind.

"Where is Jughead?" Archie asked with underlying frustration. "I don't know. I tried calling him. I left him messages. He's not answering his phone." Betty sighed as her voice began to quiet down with every word. "In the meantime-- " Veronica trailed off, shrugging her shoulders. "Should we talk to Sheriff Keller?" Betty finished. "No. Not until we tell our parents." She shook her head. The sheriff would never believe them, what they saw would simply be invalid to the investigation. "That we broke into FP's trailer?"

"You can't tell them that." Athena shook her head at Archie as he sighed and tried to convince them. "My dad will know what to do." Archie had faith in his father whilst the rest had very little.

+ + +

The group met in Archie's living room with their parents except Athena's. They had no idea how the Blossoms would react so Athena just stood quietly as the parents and teenagers argued. "You did what?" Fred asked, shocked at what his son had done. "We had to make sure FP wasn't involved in Jason's murder." Archie defended, standing next to Athena who simply just watched. "And now we know the truth. He was." Alice concluded. "What? Mom, no. We just told you."

"The gun was planted," Archie said exasperatedly as the parents listened in disbelief. "By whoever killed Jason," Veronica added on. "Couldn't you have just missed it?" Hermione argued causing the teens to all sigh out in frustration. "Yeah, excuse me if I trust the detection skills of an officer of the law over four amateur sleuths." She had to admit that the adults had good points but the foggy brains of teenagers clouded their judgment and arguments.

"Mom, you're the one who asked Veronica to break in!" The parents shouted words at Alice as she sat looking at the floor, ignoring them. "Actually, I approached Mrs. Cooper. I had to know if FP was involved and if he was connected to my dad." Veronica defended Alice as the parents looked shocked at Alice who looked down, ashamed. "A gun was found. FP is the killer. Case closed. We're leaving." Hermione stood up from her seat on the couch and walked over to Veronica, grabbing her arm. "There was no gun!"