The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 30

Although the house was cold and dusty, it was miles better than being anywhere near the Malfoy manor. Members of the Order of the Phoenix came and went, but Mrs. Weasley was always there. I think she enjoyed having someone to look after because every morning she woke me up for breakfast, then we would knit or do some other craft. She would make lunch then talk about her children and how much trouble they get into or Mr. Weasley would visit and we would all have tea. I didn't see Harry or Dumbledore or even Delia. I wondered if Harry or Dumbledore would tell anyone I was alive.
It was close to the end of the school year. I knew because Mrs. Weasley was excited to have her kids back home. She was making dinner, talking about a summer in which Ron had managed to fly a broom into the side of the house. He spent the rest of the summer with a cast on his arm. I sat at the table, listening to all the stories she had to tell. I had broken my arm one summer as well, but it was when I fell off a bike. How different it must have been to live in the Wizarding world.
Suddenly there was a loud pop and Mr. Weasley was standing in the door way. He looked like he'd been crying.
"Molly." she dropped everything and joined him in the next room. I could hear their voices echo in the hall. "Dumbledore is dead." my heart sank in my chest.
"How?" her voice sounded shaky like she was fighting back tears.
"Snape. The death eaters came through a vanishing cabinet." my heart sank further. The cabinet. The one Draco and I came through. He let them into the school and now Dumbledore was dead. I looked up as Mrs. Weasley walked into the room. Her eyes were red and watery.
"We have to leave." I nodded, running up the stairs to my room. Dumbledore had sent my trunk from school, but I kept everything folded inside in case something like this happened. I grabbed it, pulling it down the stairs, Mrs. Weasley standing at the bottom with her trunk. She grabbed my hand and we apparated into The Burrow.
"You can stay in Fred and George's room." she led me up the stairs, my trunk floating about a foot behind us. She left me alone to settle in, but I just sat on the bed staring at the floor. Voldemort was winning. Now the only man who was stronger than him was dead. Who would lead the fight against Voldemort now?

It didn't feel like summer, even with everyone home. Everyone moved through the house silently, the weight of Dumbledore's death too much. Delia and I stayed in Fred and George's room on the second floor. Fred and George weren't home, I think Mrs. Weasley said they were setting up their own joke shop. Hermione stayed with Ginny in her room and Ron and Harry were on the top floor in Ron's room. It felt great to see them again.
They were the only family I had left and there was no way I would let Voldemort or any of his followers hurt them.

Bill, Ron’s oldest brother, and Fleur Delacour were getting married at The Burrow, which seemed to help everyone’s mood. Mrs. Weasley planned the guest list and food. About a week after summer started, Rufus Scrimgeour, the new Minister of Magic, came to The Burrow. He sat across from us in the living room, a long stretch of silence expanding between us.

“Dumbledore,” he began, startling me, “left a document stating his wishes in the event of his death. It seems he left some things for you.” He picked up his bag, reading the will as he handed Ron the Deluminator. Ron flicked it open and the lamps in the room went dark, their lights collecting in the tube. He flicked it open again and the lights returned. Rufus continued with the will, handing Hermione a book of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I’d never heard of it, but Ron said it was part of a series of children’s books. Why would Dumbledore leave her a children’s book? Harry was next, receiving the snitch he caught in his first Quidditch game. I couldn’t help but think how strange the items were: a Deluminator, which had been designed by Dumbledore himself, a children’s book, and a snitch. What message was Dumbledore trying to send? Rufus continued, stating that Dumbledore left something to me as well, but I wouldn’t receive it.

“What do you mean?” I asked, wondering what it could be.

“It was not Dumbledore’s to give.” He replied simply.

“Well, what was it?” I asked further.

“The sword of Godric Gryffindor.” I’d never even heard of such a thing. “The sword does not belong to Dumbledore, therefore, it is not his to give away.”

“Not to mention, no one knows where it is.” Hermione scoffed. He glared at her then turned back to me.

“So sorry.” He apologized halfheartedly. I just stared back, my brain rolling with questions. He left and we stayed in the living room, examining the items.

“What could Dumbledore possibly mean with this?” Ron asked, picking up the book.

“I don’t know, but he’s trying to tell us something.” Hermione answered, taking the book from him. He was trying to send a message and we needed to figure out what it was and fast before Voldemort killed more innocent people.