The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 20

The summer was the longest yet. I tried writing to everyone multiple times, but I never received anything back. I couldn't talk to my parents about Voldemort because they would only worry. It was like I was completely alone.

I should've enjoyed the break. I should've appreciated not being at the center of everything because Hogwarts was in the midst of being controlled by the Ministry. Umbridge was Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, but we all knew it was only a matter of time before she was Head Master. The moment we stepped off the train people were already whispering about us.
Had we lied? Had Harry really killed Cedric? Was Voldemort really back?
The Ministry completely denied Voldemort's return so most people looked us like we were mental.

“I’ll see you guys at dinner.” Harry muttered as we split to go to our rooms. I threw on my robes, not bothering to fix my hair or really care what I looked like.

“I’m starving!” I exclaimed, watching Delia neatly fold her clothes and put them in her drawers.

“Then go down to dinner.” She had a point. I shrugged and hopped off the bed, heading downstairs to the Great Hall. There were only a few students making their ways into the Great Hall, but I was too early for dinner.

“You’re a little early for dinner.” Weird. That’s exactly what I was just thinking. I turned around, Draco smirking back at me. I looked around, but there was no one there to save me.

“It would seem you are, too.” I said in my best monotone voice. There was no way I would let him get the best of me again.

“It would seem that way. Or maybe I came here to see you.” Oh God. He began walking towards me, a look in his eye that told me I was in trouble.

“Quendie!” Delia called me from the entrance of the hall. I sighed with relief and rushed over to her, not looking back at Draco who I was sure was disappointed. But I didn’t care. I really didn’t need him creeping around with everything that was going on and what had happened to Cedric. My emotions weren’t stable enough to fight him off for long. “Dinner’s about to start.” Delia said, giving me a suspicious look.

The first years were all sorted into their houses and Dumbledore made his welcome speech which seemed less than enthusiastic. Dinner was amazing as always and not only because I was starving. Everyone seemed to be avoiding us, glancing over at Harry then whispering to each other. It was getting increasingly annoying.

Dinner ended and we retreated to our rooms. I sat on my bed, Delia sitting next to me.

“So what’s up between you and Draco?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, hoping I sounded convincing.

“Don’t play dumb. I’ve noticed something between you two. Now spill it.” She had me. I couldn’t lie to her anymore and it would feel good to get if off my chest.

“I can’t stand him, Delia and he keeps getting under my skin!” I may have left out some of the details, but it was all true. Draco knew exactly how to get to me and I had no idea how to stop it.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I don’t know. I guess I wasn’t sure what you would say.”

“Well, I’ll always be your friend no matter what.” She gave me a hug. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and now I could really face the year. We still had to deal with Voldemort and the Ministry and having drama between me and Draco needed to be the last thing on my mind.