The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 23

Everything was going downhill and fast. Umbridge posted so many rules it was hard to keep up with and it was impossible to keep out of detention. I had been to detention at least five times and every time was worse than the last.

The first was basic standards: 500 of them for violation of uniform. I guess my Gryffindor badge was askew. The next two times I was a few seconds late to Defense Against the Dark Arts and detention was 1000 standards. The last time was the worst. I got detention for talking to Delia in the hallway which was a new rule: no congregating in the hallways. I had to write 20 standards with her pen. As I wrote, the words were cut into my hand. She let me stop after 5, when little droplets of blood starting falling on the paper.

It was chaos in the castle. Everyone was doing everything they could to avoid getting in trouble and I hadn’t been able to talk to Delia or anyone for that fact. Umbridge had placed students in the dormitories to make sure we went straight to bed and we were all too scared to fight it.

“I can’t take it anymore Delia.” I whispered to her at breakfast. She looked around, Umbridge walking down the aisles, her plastic smile plastered across her face.

“I know where we can go. Meet me after breakfast.” I nodded, returning to my food which was bland and gray. Everything at Hogwarts was worse with Umbridge as Head Master. Even the ceiling in the Great Hall seemed depressed.

I met Delia outside the Great Hall and we walked in silence until we reached an empty hallway. She stood in front of the blank wall and muttered something, looking to make sure no one was coming. Suddenly a plain looking door appeared and we slipped through. It was a huge room with chairs and books strewn throughout.

“What is this?” I asked, smiling.

“It’ the Room of Requirement.” She sat in one of the chairs. “I’d read about it in our textbooks, but never knew it was real until Hermione told me about it.”

“How did she know about it?” I asked, sitting down.

“They’ve started a real Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It’s called Dumbledore’s Army and every Thursday we meet here and learn real defenses.” I smiled to myself. There were other people who believed Voldemort was back, and they were getting ready to fight.

“Count me in.” she smiled. It was time to prepare for the coming war and I knew I needed practice, especially if Voldemort knew I was Harry’s sister.

“I don’t know if I can take anymore of Umbridge.” I whispered to Delia over lunch. She nodded, taking a bite of bread. Her plastic smile and pink ensembles made me sick to my stomach and I hadn’t talked to Draco in over a month. Winter break was coming up and I couldn’t wait.

“Lunch is over!” Umbridge’s voice boomed through the hall. The food disappeared and everyone stood up, walking to their classes. Delia and I had Defense Against the Dark Arts, which meant more Umbridge. I stopped in front of the door, Delia giving me a confused look.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“I’m not going. I can’t.” I said, backing up.

“What? You have to. Missing class means detention and you’re on her list.” I looked around, the students gone, all in their classes.

“Tell her I’m sick. I’ll go to Madame Pomfrey.” She nodded, retreating inside the class. I wandered down the hall towards the hospital wing. It felt amazing to not sit through another horrible speech about how great the Ministry was.

“Hey!” I turned around, one of Umbridge’s Squad walking towards me. “Why aren’t you in class?” he asked, his face serious. I didn’t recognize him, but he looked the part; jet black hair and dark eyes that bore into mine.

“I was headed to the hospital wing.” I said, trying to look as sick as possible.

“Do you have permission?” He didn’t wait for an answer. “Come with me.” I sighed and followed him. We walked down the halls and I knew exactly where we were going: Umbridge’s office.

“You know this is ridiculous. I was going to the hospital wing.” He didn’t turn around.

“No talking in the halls.” We turned a corner and stopped, Draco looking from my escort to me.

“What are you doing Geoffrey?” he asked.

“I caught her out of class. I’m taking her to Umbridge’s office.” Geoffrey replied.

“I’ll take her. You get back to your post.” Geoffrey nodded, giving me one last glare then walked away. I stared at the ground, not wanting to meet his gaze.

“Come on.” He finally said after minutes of silence. He continued walking towards Umbridge’s office. I didn’t follow. I just stared after him until he noticed I wasn’t behind him. He turned around, giving me a confused look. “Come on.” He repeated, but I stayed in place. “What are you doing?” he asked, walking back. I shook my head and turned away from him, ready to walk to my dormitory. “Stop Pierce.” He grabbed my arm, spinning me around. Pierce? We were back to last names? I felt tears sting the backs of my eyes, but I fought them back.

“Don’t touch me, Malfoy.” I put as much venom into his last name as I could. There was a flash of hurt on his face, but I didn’t care.

“Then come with me or I’ll have to use force.” He looked at me disgusted, his grey eyes cold.

“I’d like to see you try.” I gave him the same look. He pulled out his wand and I followed, taking a step back.

“Just take your punishment and stop fighting it.” He warned. I glared at him, lowering my wand.

“Screw you.” I turned and started walking away, the tears threatening to fall again. The hall suddenly filled with students leaving class and I slipped away.

I found Delia somewhere in the mess and we headed up to the dormitory together.

“Delia, I have to tell you something.” I whispered as we prepared for dinner. She looked around, the Squad person assigned to our dorm standing in the corner, just out of earshot.

“Meet me at The Room after dinner.” She whispered and I nodded.

It was time to tell Delia.