The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 12

The first task came on November 24. Everyone sat in the stands, anxiously awaiting the show. They announced what the task was and my heart nearly fell out of my chest. They had to get past a dragon and retrieve a golden egg. Simple enough, right?

Suddenly they announced Cedric would be first. Everyone cheered and he entered the arena; the dragon was released. It was a brilliant silvery blue color with no arms and huge wings. Cedric wasted no time in transforming a rock into a retriever, the dragon chasing after it. He ran over to the egg, but before he could get to it the dragon turned back. My heart stopped as the dragon took sight on Cedric then emitted an amazingly blue flame that I could feel from up in the stands. Everyone gasped, waiting for any sign of Cedric as the smoke cleared. Then there was a huge eruption of cheer as Cedric stood on the rocks; the golden egg raised above his head and the side of his face slightly burnt.

I let out the breath I’d been holding, my heart beat returning to normal. It didn’t take long for my heart to beat irregularly again though as Fleur, Viktor, and Harry took their turns, each retrieving their eggs. By the end of the task I’d felt like I’d had four heart attacks.

“That was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen!” I exclaimed as Delia and I walked back to the common room, everyone around us buzzing with excitement as well. Suddenly there was a loud outburst of cheering and we all stopped and turned as the champions walked into the castle. Everyone flocked over to their favorite, congratulating them as they walked into the Great Hall. Delia and I walked over to Harry who had only Ron and Hermione on his side and I hated to see them look so alone. Plus, seeing the other students wearing those stupid Potter Stinks buttons was getting really annoying really fast.

“You did great Harry!” I cheered, giving him a hug.

“Thanks.” He smiled. “I think I’m gonna go up to bed. See you guys later?” We all nodded and watched him leave.

“You think he’s okay?” Hermione asked.

“I’m sure he’s fine, it’s not easy fighting a dragon.” We all laughed. Ron and Hermione went up to the common room, not really interested in dinner while Delia and I stuck around, standing outside the Great Hall which was full of loud talking and laughter. We walked in just before dinner was going to be served, the room still full of people talking. As I walked to the Gryffindor table I scanned the room and locked eyes with Cedric who was smiling back at me. I broke eye contact as I felt heat rush into my cheeks. I sat down, focusing on the table in front of me.

“You’re blushing again.” Delia whispered, laughing. I nudged her with my elbow, my cheeks getting even hotter. Something about Cedric made me feel warm inside. Maybe it was the sweet look in his eye or maybe it was just a nice change from what I was used to with Draco, but I couldn’t help but blush every time we made eye contact.

It wasn’t long before the school was buzzing again, but this time with excitement about the Yule Ball which was only a week away. But, it was only for fourth years and up, and everyone in my year hoped to be asked by someone older just so they could go. I, on the other hand, didn’t really care. I wasn’t much of a dancer and I knew Draco and Pansy were going to be there…together. The thought of it made my stomach churn.

Okay Quendie, you need to stop this, I scolded myself. You need to forget about them, even if Pansy does try to make your life a living hell and Draco is always there with his taunting eyes.

I shook my head, breaking up my thoughts as I sat near a window, looking out onto the grounds. It was raining and soon there would be snow covering the ground just in time for Christmas.

“Hey.” I looked up, startled by the sudden intrusion. My heart began to flutter and I smiled up at Cedric who smiled back down at me.

“Hi.” My smile grew.

“Can I sit with you?” he asked and I nodded. He sat down, his leg rested against mine. The butterflies in my stomach were going insane. “Quendie,” he began, “I was wondering if you’d like to go to the Yule Ball with me?” My heart skipped a beat and my cheeks got hot.

“Really?” I asked without thinking.

“I mean, only if you want to.” He second guessed himself.

“Yes. Of course.” I smiled.

“Great.” He looked out the window, silence growing between us. The rain had stopped, but the sky was still gray and dark. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what were you doing with Draco Malfoy that night in the hall?” I paused, carefully composing my response.

“He had just stopped me to call me a mudblood or something along those lines.” I shrugged. He laughed, shaking his head.

“Sorry about him, he’s the problem child of Hogwarts.” I laughed. I liked Cedric and not just because he was cute though he was, don’t get me wrong, but he had a sweet charm about him.

We sat on the bench talking for hours before it was time for dinner. We walked to the Great Hall together, splitting off to sit at our house’s tables. I sat next to Delia who stared at me with a huge smirk on her face.

“What?” I asked, trying to act innocent.

“I saw you. With Cedric.”

“He was just asking about some Muggle things.” I lied.

“Yeah right. I know that look on your face, now spill it.” She could see right through me.

“Fine. He asked me to the Yule Ball.” She squealed, attracting the attention of everyone around us. “But don’t tell anyone.” I begged and she nodded.

“I won’t, but I knew that’s what he wanted to ask.” She stopped.

“Wait, what do you mean? Did he ask you where I was?” she shook her head. “Oh, I hate you so much right now.”

“Why? Now you get to go to the Yule Ball with the man of your dreams.” She beamed, proud of herself.

“Yeah, but I really don’t know how to dance.” We laughed as dinner appeared in front of us. Maybe I could somehow learn not to fall on my butt in the week before the dance. And I still needed to find a dress!